Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Capital One ?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Closing Capital One ?

My oldest Cap One is coming up on a year next month, so I want to close it before the AF hits. I was wondering how long they generally take to update the info that the acct. has been closed to the CRBs. (Wondering since it's going to affect my util.)

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing Capital One ?

I've found that any "update" to an account be it a new CL or different balance or open/closed status depends on the normal cycle of that accounts. In other words, some of my accounts seem to be lagging any update by a month (mostly GE accounts) meaning my current 2.26.12 CR is showing "as of 01/2012". Most of my accounts are updated within a few days (maybe a week) after the statement cuts, this generally includes my Cap-1 accounts (I have one that closes on the 7th and another that closes on the 19th).

I don't think if you close the account today that it will show up on your CR tomorrow, but more so when it usually does a few days after the statement is scheduled to close. I have noticed, especially with Capital One, that new accounts post quickly to CRs, usually within a week of being opened. Can't say if this is normal for everyone.... 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine reported as closed as soon as my next statement cut/posted (so the usual 2-3 business days after the closing date).

HSBC, on the other hand, is still showing up as open .. after 2 months.

Message 3 of 6
Skinnyminnie
Regular Contributor

Mine had also reported a few days after the statement date.

Message 4 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Okay, thanks! I didn't know if it reported right away, like a new acct. does. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

My oldest Cap One is coming up on a year next month, so I want to close it before the AF hits. I was wondering how long they generally take to update the info that the acct. has been closed to the CRBs. (Wondering since it's going to affect my util.)

Thanks! Smiley Happy

If you do it before the statement closing date (ex. closing date is 2/28 you do it today it will update 3/27)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.