Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Chase and moving CL

tag
nagisa
New Contributor

Closing Chase and moving CL

I currently have a Chase Southwest visa which has an annual fee which I'd like to close (the renewal isn't until April though) and move the $8k CL to the my Chase Amazon card (only $3k). If I call up Chase will they able to do that?

Also on a related note, if this works, now that my Amazon card will be over $5k can I get it 'upgraded' to a Signature? If so, how do I do that?

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing Chase and moving CL

@nagisa wrote:

I currently have a Chase Southwest visa which has an annual fee which I'd like to close (the renewal isn't until April though) and move the $8k CL to the my Chase Amazon card (only $3k). If I call up Chase will they able to do that?

Also on a related note, if this works, now that my Amazon card will be over $5k can I get it 'upgraded' to a Signature? If so, how do I do that?

Yes, they can shift (or combine) CLs to another card.  You would likely need to contact their Credit Consolidations department via c/s.

As far as the Signature tier, it does exist for the Amazon Visa.  However, the account needs to be elegible to be considered for the upgrade.

EDIT to add:  In order to combine the full CL, the Southwest Visa needs to be at a 0 balance.

Message 2 of 5
TheConductor
Established Contributor

It may be harder to do CL moves with co-branded cards than with the Chase in-house cards. But it should be feasible.

Your best resource for finding out is to just call and ask, though.  I'm always amused when people post this kind of "thread that could easily be answered in 5 minutes by customer service."  But I understand where it comes from: you just want a little confidence to know it's reasonable to ask for what you want, and likely that you will get it.

Just go for it! Chase's CS reps are generally quite friendly and professional.  They won't bite. Smiley Happy

If you don't have success with the CS from one card, try the CS for the other card - they may well be different CS teams with different rules.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

It may be harder to do CL moves with co-branded cards than with the Chase in-house cards. But it should be feasible.

Your best resource for finding out is to just call and ask, though.  I'm always amused when people post this kind of "thread that could easily be answered in 5 minutes by customer service."  But I understand where it comes from: you just want a little confidence to know it's reasonable to ask for what you want, and likely that you will get it.

Just go for it! Chase's CS reps are generally quite friendly and professional.  They won't bite. Smiley Happy

If you don't have success with the CS from one card, try the CS for the other card - they may well be different CS teams with different rules.

I agree in the case of Chase (mainly) but for other banks, such as Citi, while it certainly can be easily answered in 5 minutes, it will be answered in 5 contradictory ways by 5 reps, so posting here allows people to find out the range of what is possible.

I was able to move most of my Chase Amazon CL to my CSP, so I doubt that there is a big issue with co-branding.

Message 4 of 5
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

I agree in the case of Chase (mainly) but for other banks, such as Citi, while it certainly can be easily answered in 5 minutes, it will be answered in 5 contradictory ways by 5 reps, so posting here allows people to find out the range of what is possible.

I was able to move most of my Chase Amazon CL to my CSP, so I doubt that there is a big issue with co-branding.

Agreed. I was able to move my CL from my Chase Amazon to my Chase Freedom Smiley Happy Chase is the lender so there should be no problem.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.