Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing Chase

Scores look good.  Rock on.  But I would still hold onto chase for a hot minute and see what happens. 
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Romeo, I have a question.  When you applied for the card was it through a preapproval through the mail or online???
Message 12 of 33
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

I'm just upset that they are not willing to grow with me unless I apply for another Chase card or continue to use the paltry $400 card and wait endlessly for a CLI (which is auto-generated).  I'm really considering just closing it and keeping just 3 cards.  The decreased utilization would not affect me any since I never carry a balance with the card and it is only $400. 
Message 13 of 33
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

I just went online and applied for the card.  When I applied for the card my scores were in the mid 600s.  I think they pulled EXP and I had something like 651.  In 10 months I have paid $12,500 off in credit card debt, paid off 2 student loans (higher interest rate) and bought my first house.  I was shocked that they gave me a $400 CL to begin with but I read that JP Morgan Chase was a good lender so I just used the card, paid 2 to 3 times a month, and never carried a balance. 
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Romeoo47 wrote:
I'm just upset that they are not willing to grow with me unless I apply for another Chase card or continue to use the paltry $400 card and wait endlessly for a CLI (which is auto-generated).  I'm really considering just closing it and keeping just 3 cards.  The decreased utilization would not affect me any since I never carry a balance with the card and it is only $400. 

I understand that you're upset, but they are a prime lender, and you have your foot in the door.  There's really no reason not to keep it.

Not being able to request a CLI is not the worst thing in the world, especially when you know that your card is still eligible for auto-CLI.  There are lots of CCCs that don't take cardholder-initiated CLI requests on any of their cards, no matter how good your credit is.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-14-2008 06:31 AM
Message 15 of 33
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

*cough WAMU HSBC cough*

I need to get that cough checked out.
Here we go again...
Message 16 of 33
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Thats true Cheddar, but I'm not so sure about the auto-CLI.  I thought I read on the focum that people have had cards with Chase that have been stuck at its low limit for years.  But ultimately you are right but I'm not going out of my way to make them any money anymore.  I will SD the card and use it once every 3 to 4 months for gas or something.
Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Chase Platinum Visa with the same limit right now.  Based on your experience, I might need to give them a buzz soon.
Message 18 of 33
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Landocal... how long have you had the card?  I had mine for about 10 months.
Message 19 of 33
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@Romeoo47 wrote:
This has probably been mentioned on this forum before but apparently Chase has credit cards that will never be eligible for customer-initiated CLI.  I have had my Chase card for about 10 months with a measly CL of $400.  I requested a CLI yesterday and was told that I was not eligible for a CLI but that I should apply for another Chase card.  That doesn't make any sense to me.  Anyway, I paid off my account this morning and I'm closing it when it reflects zero.  I thought Chase was a company that would grow with me... boy was I WRONG!

I'm just curious which Chase cards aren't eligible for CLIs?
As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.