Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Chase

tag
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing Chase

I'm not 100% certain but I think it is their low limit "re-builder" cards.  Sorry I can't be more specific than that.  I have the Chase Freedom card but I originally had the plain vanilla Chase Platinum Visa Card.
Message 21 of 33
rsg

I got a Chase Amazon.com card a few years ago with a starting limit of $1000. I have been paying in full on time every month. The limit has been increasing every year and is now $12,000 (this took 4 years).
Message 22 of 33
USC08
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone had problems with getting Auto-CLI or customer initiated requests with the Chase Freedom?
myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

chase is good about combining  , they even delete the trade line in the CR, the result retains the age of the oldest account

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... you've already had it 10 months, why don't you wait until you've had it a full year and see if they auto-CLI then? I don't have any Chase cards so am hardly an expert on how they work, but if the only CLIs they give are automatic, I'd guess the 12 month mark might be a trigger for their computers to see if they think you qualify for one. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised....

I also agree with everyone else that there's no point cancelling it - maybe just sockdrawer it for a while and just give it the bare minimum of usage if you're really THAT ticked off at them... and wait and see what happens. I know it can be hard sometimes, but try not to take it so personally! Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd just apply for a new Chase Card, and ask them to combine the two cards into the new better one.
Message 26 of 33
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

With those scores I'd definately apply again and CLI at activation. You'd more than likely be approved.

Then I'd combine the two cards the next day.

I did this a few months ago when they wouldn't CLI my Freedom but told me they would approve for a 2k limit for another card. Kind of strange, they pull a hard for the CLI, deny, but offer another card.

Chase is a good lender, quirky at times, but generous with time and usage.

I went from 3500 to 5500 a day later.

Just approved for a 3500 Chase card a month ago also. Moved the CL around the next day also after getting a CLI of 3000 after a recon.

Right now have two cards ,3500 and 8500.

Don't give up on them yet, just play the system, they set it up, you just use it to your advantage.

BTW, your scores are better than mine for all of this, I also have many new accounts, many more than your four, don't worry so much about inq's, they are easy to provide an explanation for. You have to apply to get things right ???

Jax
App free for 4 days since 3rd NASA denial

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 08-14-2008 06:10 PM
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 27 of 33
score_building
Senior Contributor

jaxstraw wrote:
...don't worry so much about inq's, they are easy to provide an explanation for...

really?  i thought some of the most heavily relied upon statistical data shows that those who have many inq's in a short period are much more likely to default and so many lenders head for the hills when they see multiple inqs upon apping.  i'm guessing you were addressing something specific here since the OP appears to be quite conservative and could in HIS case spare some and you're not saying that it is generally an easy thing to explain away multiple inq's in short time frame to lenders, no?  plse. forgive if i am being a bit dense or stating the obvious, i just would like to understand

Message Edited by score_building on 08-14-2008 07:43 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 28 of 33
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

No problem, your info is generally correct.

I'm only talking about my experiences after applying and verbally discussing what's on your credit file.

For me , I have found it easier with recon and talking to a CSR to explain inquiries as compared to explaining short history, new accounts, reason for CLI after just asking for one a month ago, etc.

I can give a variety of reasons for inquiries such as opening checking accounts, CLI's,Credit Union membership, multiple inq's for car loans or mortgage shopping.I used to tell them that I'm new to credit building and I didn't realize multiple inq's were bad. Can't do that now though.

I'm not suggesting lying at all, what I am saying is that sometimes they can be explained. Not 30 or 40 of course, but in my case I had 16 when I apped, had just become a member of 6 credit unions in the past year and had opened a few business checking accounts. I also had applied for credit too.

All are legitimate reasons for having multiple inquiries and can be explained and possibly become a non factor when applying for new credit.

Jax
App free for 4 days since 3rd NASA denial.

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 08-14-2008 08:18 PM
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would rather have a $400 Chase card than a $400 Orchard card. Do you have starter limits on other cards? I would call every couple of months. Have you looked to see when the last time Chase conducted an AR?
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.