Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Card Immediately...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Credit Card Immediately...

I just recently applied for the Chase Slate Card and got approved with a $500 CL. I called into Chase to see if they could do anything to raise it but I did not want another Hard Pull on my Report. They informed me that I could not, so I asked them to cancel the card and they did. I just wanted to know if cancelling my card with 5 days of opening the card will hurt my credit score. Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Card Immediately...

Yes. AAoA cut. An addition hard inquiry. And possibly having to explain the cancellation when applying for new credit
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 2 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Sometimes its best to take the smaller limit and build a relationship with the issuer for future CLI and lines of credit. You wasted a HP and hurt AAOA and possibly your score.

Just my opinion but I would call back and see if I could sway them to let me keep the card open.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 15
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Sometimes its best to take the smaller limit and build a relationship with the issuer for future CLI and lines of credit. You wasted a HP and hurt AAOA and possibly your score.

Just my opinion but I would call back and see if I could sway them to let me keep the card open.

How is closing it impacting AAoA any time soon?  It it reports, it will stay on for about the next ten years, if it doesn't report, doesn't impact AAoA at all.

Message 4 of 15
Simply827
Established Contributor

I don't even think the card will report, but you will take a hit for the inquiry. If the card does indeed report, you'll get a ding for AAoA. Yes the card will report for 10 years, but it's still a young account.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 5 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

bs6054 wrote: If it reports...either way why not try and keep open VS a wasted HP....I've had cards show up on CR next day

@myjourney wrote:

How is closing it impacting AAoA any time soon?  It it reports, it will stay on for about the next ten years, if it doesn't report, doesn't impact AAoA at all.

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 15
Elcid89
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

AAOA is calculated based on open accounts. This is why they tell you never to close your oldest account, even if you never use it and have no use for it. Once it's closed, the AAOA calculation ignores it, and your AAOA drops. Even if it shows up, which I doubt, it won't affect AAOA since it's already closed.

I agree that he'll take the hit for the inquiry and probably should have left the account open just to build a relationship.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 7 of 15
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

bs6054 wrote: If it reports...either way why not try and keep open VS a wasted HP....I've had cards show up on CR next day

@myjourney wrote:

The moment a new account reports,it affects AAoA. I think that is what they were saying. That being said, if the damage is already done, might as well keep it open.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 8 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

AAOA is calculated based on open accounts. This is why they tell you never to close your oldest account, even if you never use it and have no use for it. Once it's closed, the AAOA calculation ignores it, and your AAOA drops. Even if it shows up, which I doubt, it won't affect AAOA since it's already closed.

I agree that he'll take the hit for the inquiry and probably should have left the account open just to build a relationship.

Elcid89 wrote: Point Taken thanks

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 15
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Hmmm, maybe credit Karma ignores closed but I believe Fico calculates AAoA on all accounts, both open and closed.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.