Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Card Scenario... Chase Slate

tag
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Card Scenario... Chase Slate

I would transfer it to the freedom
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 21 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

I would be inclined to leave it open for two reasons:

As you work toward 800, it is another history builder in a no-AF card. PIF small amounts, and it keeps adding to your history.

I am also wondering, since the Slate is marketed as a BT card, does Slate send BT offers after the card is paid off? I have a few years to work mine down, but I suspect Chase will send BT offers later on, after this is paid off. I could be wrong, I have no actual experience with recent Chase BT offers, but it seems possible.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

I would be inclined to leave it open for two reasons:

As you work toward 800, it is another history builder in a no-AF card. PIF small amounts, and it keeps adding to your history.

I am also wondering, since the Slate is marketed as a BT card, does Slate send BT offers after the card is paid off? I have a few years to work mine down, but I suspect Chase will send BT offers later on, after this is paid off. I could be wrong, I have no actual experience with recent Chase BT offers, but it seems possible.

I'm inclined to believe that they send BT offers more often on other cards than this one.

Message 23 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're going for 800's then leave the card open for at least 1 year or even 2. The card is only showing 6 months of history. It's actually viewed as a negative account until it attains 1 year of history.  If it were me I'd leave it open until it started impacting my approvals. Payment history is one subject that is always overlooked here. 

Meh I have closed a card I got in June last month and no damage to my reports 

Unless you have 850's across the board you have "negative" info on your report. Not negative in the traditional sense as latest or collections. Add a new account leave it open for 3 months and close it. Is your score going to be the same? I doubt it. 

I closed an account about two years back after 7 months.   Now I don't have 850's across the board, but apparently 2 of the 3 don't seem to mind.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the process of closing my Slate right now. I opened it on Sep 30th of 2014 and closed it last week. It hasn't reported yet. I originally transferred 5k and then tried to pay it off as quickly as possible. I was going to keep it open and pay over several months but I decided I would rather transfer the limits to the Freedom and AARP that I got 2 months after getting Slate.

Once the closing reports I will have no difference on my TU and EQ (no inquiries since last FICO I received for both) except for the account closing. I guess I am a perfect test for finding out how having an account open for only 3 months affects your FICO.
Message 25 of 26
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

Lets hear how they change!
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.