cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Card if Offered a new one.

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Card if Offered a new one.

You have a prime card with Chase with their Amazon card so why do you even have a crap FP card?  Close it ASAP and open another prime card.  Discover IT and Chase Freedom would both be fine choices.  I second joining a credit union.  I love DCU but they have been having some bad reviews recently with their verification process.  Certainly join them and get membership before applying for credit products. 

Message 11 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 20
bluerose01
New Visitor

Have had my 1st Premier for 3 years this July, asked for a credit line increase 2 months ago and got it.. My fee is 49. a year and really I don't mind paying the monthly fee.  My scores went from low 500's to 780 - 795 for experian, equifax and Trans, it took 2 years but now keeping just 2 cc's I am finally able to get a decent home loan with 3.4%.  

I wouldn't dump the card as it will affect your scores if your trying to build them up, ask them to bump up the card you have instead of taking the newer one.  At least until you get where you want to be, once your scores build up then take the new one and dump the old one.

Message 13 of 20
bluerose01
New Visitor

Agree with you 100%.. 

Message 14 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I wouldnt even think about FP. AXE.your current card and leave them in the rear view!!

I would go for a prime like above poster suggested.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 20
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Getting a second Cap one would be an option.  Maybe apping with Chase since you have a history with them.  Your goal is to close First Premier and go on to better cards.  You already have a Chase so headed in the right direction.  Either Cap one or a Credit Union would do.  i would say go for the Freedom if your uti is low and no baddies, low inq's.  G.L.q

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 16 of 20
mrgoattoo
New Contributor

@epicblue wrote:

I have a basic credit card with a $300 limit that I've had for 3 years now. The same bank just sent me a letter saying I'm qualified for there platinum credit card. I don't really want to have that many credit cards. (I currently have 3). I assume the platinum card will have a higher limit, and some better benifits. 

Should I close the basic $300 dollar card and open the platinum card? 

PS. After a year of opening the basic card, they declined my request for a credit line increase because I didn't really have established credit history. 

If you close your oldest account its possible youre going to take a hit on your credit score.

TU FICO average 819
Message 17 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mr goat A closed account still reports positively for 10 years after closing and the OP has other cards open so any score hit if any will be minimal. The OP does not have bad credit anymore and shouldnt be subject to FP and their outrageous fees.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hi MrGoat and welcome to Myfico Community Forums!

Closing a CC (credit cards) does not lower your FICO scores in and of itself. When deciding to close a CC there are two important things to consider. In the short-term, closing a CC can have an adverse affect on your UTIL percentage calculations and this in itself can definitely lower your scores. In the long-term, a closed CC in good standing (nothing derogatory reporting) with a $0 balance will generally be deleted from your CRs (credit reports) after 10 years. Once this account is deleted, you lose the history and age and this might lower your scores.

For More information on how closing credit cards can impact your FICO score, please check out the following link: Closing Credit Cards.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 20
Tomcatant9

Run! As far away as you can. I just cancelled my First Premier card and I'm glad I did it. They will never give you a decent limits and it will actually end up hurting you credit in the long run having a card with such a low limit. Get a secured card.
EX 779 EQ 814 TU 782
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.