New Contributor
Flatbroke_Again

Closing Credit Card

I read somewhere here, but cant remember. I have 300cl cap1 with a/f. and a 300cl hsbc. Not even 30 days old. Wanted a better starting limit, as i have other cards much better. If i cancel these new never used cards, how does that affect fico scoring? I was dumb and got too many cards. Is it bad to cancel anything? How many is too many? Is there such a thing as having too mant store cards, in ficos eye? is a 1000cl. target visa a good card, or just another, never gonna grow card?

Alcohol--Tobacco--- & Firearms
Should be a convenience store, NOT a government agency!!!
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Closing Credit Card

usually people starting with target is 200 store card and wanting it to grow to visa, so your already ahead there.
as far as HSBC and Cap1, I might call backdoor on cap 1 and say you want to make them your primary card but can't becuase they are not close to your other cl and waive annual fee.
close hsbc.
you might take a couple point hit for opening new account but closing shouldn't hurt you if you never used them unless they helped balance out your util.
Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 665 GE, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Fidelity Amex $25k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Buckle $250
Over 30 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Senior Contributor
smallfry

Re: Closing Credit Card

[ Edited ]
If Cap One gave you a $300 starting limit the card is subprime and will always be that way. I know I've been there with them. You already took the hit for an inq and a new account. Won't hurt to call just don't expect too much. Won't hurt to cancel these but they will stay on your reports for 10 years.

Message Edited by smallfry on 05-28-2008 04:37 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+