Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Credit Cards

I was just wondering what I should do about credit/store cards that are on my credit report that I don't have any longer, by this I mean I don't have the card in my possession any longer.  Should I go through the hassle of getting them taken off my report?  Also, I have a few cards that have been paid off about a year ago and due to the finance charge I have removed them from my wallet and have not charged any thing on them in over a year.  Will it hurt my score if I close them?  I have other cards that I have and haven't used in a while, what should I do if they send me a message saying the account will be closed due to inactivity?  Will this hurt my score?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just wondering what I should do about credit/store cards that are on my credit report that I don't have any longer, by this I mean I don't have the card in my possession any longer.  Should I go through the hassle of getting them taken off my report?  Also, I have a few cards that have been paid off about a year ago and due to the finance charge I have removed them from my wallet and have not charged any thing on them in over a year.  Will it hurt my score if I close them?  I have other cards that I have and haven't used in a while, what should I do if they send me a message saying the account will be closed due to inactivity?  Will this hurt my score?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.

Here is a good thread discussing Closing Credit Cards. It might answer all your questions.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.