Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards?

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Closing Credit Cards?

Mom just closed out her 2 year BBT Credit Card.. she is also considering closing out all her other little store cards at she no longer uses. What is the best way going about doing this to avoid the most damage to her score. and how bad will the closure of bbt hurt her scores. Her Scores are hoovering around 770 now because she cosign for my auto and owes 2.4k on chase card but paying that off from BBT balance transfer. before they were around 815

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Closing Credit Cards?

The only immediate effect closing cards will have is reducing her overall utilization.  Assuming she's paying off the BBT before closing it, and she's not carrying some undisclosed debt on other cards there will be little to no effect.

But this does not seem like the behavior of someone who intends to use their FICO scores (aka seek new credit) any time soon, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Harvey26 wrote:

Mom just closed out her 2 year BBT Credit Card.. she is also considering closing out all her other little store cards at she no longer uses. What is the best way going about doing this to avoid the most damage to her score. and how bad will the closure of bbt hurt her scores. Her Scores are hoovering around 770 now because she cosign for my auto and owes 2.4k on chase card but paying that off from BBT balance transfer. before they were around 815

Unless closing those cards greatly affects her utilization percentage, then closing them will not change her score at all.  Here's a link to a thread that discusses closing CCs.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 3 of 10
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

The only immediate effect closing cards will have is reducing her overall utilization.  Assuming she's paying off the BBT before closing it, and she's not carrying some undisclosed debt on other cards there will be little to no effect.

But this does not seem like the behavior of someone who intends to use their FICO scores (aka seek new credit) any time soon, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Oh no BBT is paid off in full and paying of chase quickly wont be seeking any new credit until that is paid off and that will only be to obatin the CSP and transfer the limit over from Freedom once paid in full

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

We need more information to answer the question. What cards she has, which are the oldest, what are the credit limits and balances, etc.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 10
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

We need more information to answer the question. What cards she has, which are the oldest, what are the credit limits and balances, etc.

oldest card is a local credit union card about 7 years old and thats 9k and owe nothing on no other card besides chase and BBT limit was 6.5k but just trying to get rid of usless accounts.

Message 6 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

See the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.  Link was provided above.  To mitigate the impact to utilziation (if impact would be significant) consider reallocating limits where possible.

We can't tell you that closing X will cause a Y point change.  It's not just about the change itself.  It's about one's credit profile and how the change factors in.  Best you and she can do is calculate revolving utilization before and after.

Don't just obsess over scores.  She needs to do what makes financial sense for her.  Scores should be considered but they shouldn't drive all her decisions.  Is she applying for new credit in the near future anyway?

@Harvey26 wrote:

Her Scores are hoovering

Can her scores come over and hoover our floors too? Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I've closed a secure card that I used to help build my credit initially but had other cards that were opened at around the same time frame. I still see it reported but closed. Didn't see any big change is score BUT when I did it (closed the CC) I was fairly new to credit, and the limit on it was only $500 so it wasn't a big change to my overall utilization.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

770 is a great score, she will be fine Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Harvey26 wrote:

oldest card is a local credit union card about 7 years old and thats 9k and owe nothing on no other card besides chase and BBT limit was 6.5k but just trying to get rid of usless accounts.

If you're concerned about her credit scores, she should (a) certainly leave the credit union card open, (b) try to close smaller as opposed to larger accounts, (c) try to close newer as opposed to older accounts, and (d) do the whole thing very gradually so you can assess, as you go along, the impact if any on her scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.