Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Credit One

Like many before me who have traveled down the road to credit rehab, I opened an account with Credit One. In hindsight, I can see it was not my biggest moment of clarity. I've done stupid things, made bad choices. But one thing I've always felt good about was my common sense, my ability to see through stuff and not be scammed per say. I say per say because no one forced me to apply. I did so on my own accord. I remember exactly when I got the mailer. I thought it was Capital One. Would have sworn it was. That's the embarrassing thing. I don't fall for that sort of thing usually. It's an obvious trick to make you think Capital One. Anyway, I figured out quickly the error of my ways. But since I took the initial hit, I decided to keep it and use it sparingly always PIF. They actually did give me a CLI at no charge Smiley Happy. Fast forward to today, its been 5 months. I've been working diligently on paying down my overall utilization. Currently, I'm at 20% and definitely trending down even farther. All that said, I think it's time to close this Credit One card before they start the monthly fee shenanigans. Dropping that credit limit from my overall limit will mean my overall utilization creeps up 2%. I don't think that's going to be a killer. I've read some posts about Credit One being difficult when it comes to closing out. I'm deaf, so typical phone calls are anything but typical for me. I can use an Internet relay service to act as a go between sort of like chat. Can anyone give some pointers on what to expect from them so that I can maybe set a game plan? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing Credit One

I just recently closed my Credit One account and it was fairly easy for me. I just told the rep that Ive made strides in my credit and I feel that this card is not for me. The rep offered me no annual fee,and a $42 credit to stay and I declined.Then he transferred me to a credit analyst and once again I told the credit analyst I wasn't interested in any offers and I would like to close that day! I believe they did, Im just waiting for my report to update. I closed this card right before my 1 yr with them. But if I have any advice, I say stick to your guns. They will throw everything at you, but be firm and let them know you've outgrown this card.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I have zero desire to keep it open. So, no amount of sweet talk by them is changing my mind.  

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just call and put yourself out of that credit one misery.  They will try to convince you to keep it open but be firm over the phone.  You may have to call a few times though as recent reports suggest they seem to hang up on customers a few times when they are trying to close an account.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.