cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Green before AF and not losing points?

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Closing Green before AF and not losing points?

If I wanted to close my Amex Green, what would be the best time to do it? I opened it in on May 5 last year. Will my AF be charged after that date? I have about a $1000 of spend that should post when the statement cut on April 3. I wanted to transfer the MR points I have to a FF program - do you think those points would post by then? I think Amex takes their sweet time in posting points.

What would be the best way to go about doing this - not getting hit with an AF and not losing MR points?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: Closing Green before AF and not losing points?

I think the only way is to open up a blue before you close the green. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 4
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

It's already past April 3rd? Do you mean the spend will post may 3rd?

If so just call them on the 4th and ask them to make your "pending" points available, once they do that you can transfer them instantly.

Also you can close your card up to 30 days after the AF and they will refund it.
Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 4
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:
It's already past April 3rd? Do you mean the spend will post may 3rd?

If so just call them on the 4th and ask them to make your "pending" points available, once they do that you can transfer them instantly.

Also you can close your card up to 30 days after the AF and they will refund it.

Sorry, I meant to say that the April 3 closing had a balance of about $1k but I have noticed that Amex does not post the related points immediately and it takes quite some time for it to happen. So, if I understand you, I can call and at request that they make the pending points available.

Is closing within 30 days of the AF hitting a pretty sure thing as far as refund of the AF goes?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.