New Visitor
demsa426

Closing New Store Card

Approximately one month ago I opened a store credit card (GE Capitol Retail) to purchase a refrigerator with 12 months 0% interest.  
For a variety of reasons, I returned the refrigerator within a few days and recieved a full credit to the card.

The card arrived a few weeks ago, and I also just received my first statement showing the purchase, credit, and final ZERO balance with a $2,500.

My preference would be to close this store card but am hoping not to damage my credit score.

My credit score is okay, 705 as of a 4 months ago during my mortgage refinance.

Should I leave it open (never use it), or can I close it without fanfare?

Super Contributor
CS800

Re: Closing New Store Card

demsa426 wrote:

Approximately one month ago I opened a store credit card (GE Capitol Retail) to purchase a refrigerator with 12 months 0% interest.  
For a variety of reasons, I returned the refrigerator within a few days and recieved a full credit to the card.

The card arrived a few weeks ago, and I also just received my first statement showing the purchase, credit, and final ZERO balance with a $2,500.

My preference would be to close this store card but am hoping not to damage my credit score.

My credit score is okay, 705 as of a 4 months ago during my mortgage refinance.

Should I leave it open (never use it), or can I close it without fanfare?

You have already taken the hit for it and it has no AF and I assume your CL is $2500?

I would keep it open and let it age. Which card was it?

Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

Leave it open, damage is done, GE is friendly with CLI's use the card, pay on time, and it will grow in a few months the card could double helping your average CL's and UTL. Then you wont have to open another card when the next major appliance goes out. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Zync NPSL, Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
New Visitor
demsa426

My apologies, no balance on the card but it has CL of $2,500. Does that change anything?

It's a Brandsmart card from CE Capitol Retail.

Super Contributor
CS800

demsa426 wrote:

My apologies, no balance on the card but it has CL of $2,500. Does that change anything?

It's a Brandsmart card from CE Capitol Retail.

Nope, it probably could lower your overall util and possibly get you some points.

Take the card and put it away in a secure place and let it age.

New Visitor
demsa426

That is exactly what I will do.  Out of sight out of mind... and please don't jinx me...  all other appliances are working just fine!

I am paying my final payment on my car and will hopefully pay off a few other cards in the next few months so maybe that will offset any damage.

Thank you!

Super Contributor
CS800

Demsa, welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}