Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Sapphire - need advice

tag
KLGFCG
New Contributor

Closing Sapphire - need advice

My Chase Sapphire's annual fee just hit, and in reviewing the past year, I'm just not using this card enough to make the fee worthwhile. So, much as I like the card, I've come to the conclusion that it needs to go. 

I would prefer not to lose the credit line from the Sapphire, however. I currently have 3 other cards through Chase: Freedom, Amazon, and AARP. Does Chase typically allow reallocation of a credit line to other cards? If so, should I ask for the reallocation first, then bring up closing the Sapphire after the money is moved, or is okay to do it all at once?

On the other hand, a balance transfer card would be of use right now, so would I be better served by trying to obtain the Slate? If so, should I try to PC (would a PC still get the no BT fee, 0% for 15 mos?), or should I close the Sapphire and try a new app for the Slate?

Any advice is appreciated, this will be the first card I've closed and I want to do it without losing too much. I'm bummed that the card didn't turn out to be as useful for me as I'd hoped it would, but closing it just seems like the best option.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

Re: Closing Sapphire - need advice

@KLGFCG wrote:

My Chase Sapphire's annual fee just hit, and in reviewing the past year, I'm just not using this card enough to make the fee worthwhile. So, much as I like the card, I've come to the conclusion that it needs to go. 

I would prefer not to lose the credit line from the Sapphire, however. I currently have 3 other cards through Chase: Freedom, Amazon, and AARP. Does Chase typically allow reallocation of a credit line to other cards? If so, should I ask for the reallocation first, then bring up closing the Sapphire after the money is moved, or is okay to do it all at once?

On the other hand, a balance transfer card would be of use right now, so would I be better served by trying to obtain the Slate? If so, should I try to PC (would a PC still get the no BT fee, 0% for 15 mos?), or should I close the Sapphire and try a new app for the Slate?

Any advice is appreciated, this will be the first card I've closed and I want to do it without losing too much. I'm bummed that the card didn't turn out to be as useful for me as I'd hoped it would, but closing it just seems like the best option.  

Chase is often quite good about combining and shifting CL's from one credit card account to another.  Never hurts to ask, and they have been very accomodating in my personal experience.

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 2 of 4
adavis425
Established Contributor

+1

You should have no problem. Chase doesn't mind doing this at all and I've even had them suggest it. So yeah, I'd go for it.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 3 of 4
FrugalRican
Blogger

Why not downgrade to the Non-Preferred version and keep the CL?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.