New Contributor
kyobakes

Closing Target account/keeping it open?...need advice!

[ Edited ]

I'm a 20 year old college student.  Last summer, I opened a Target credit account.  I work there, and it enabled me to use my store discount.  However, I rarely use it seeing as I only have a $200 limit.  I have the card paid off, and am considering closing the account.  I see no perks to keeping it around.  I don't believe it will be a big hit to me, seeing as it is a small limit and has been open less than a year.  I have other accounts that have been opened longer and with larger limits.  I have nearly $9000 available to me.  What do you think? 

If I do close it, what is the procedure for doing so?  I have never had to close an account like this before.

Thanks!

Message Edited by kyobakes on 04-28-2009 02:40 PM
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Closing Target account/keeping it open?...need advice!

Sounds like you already understand the pros and cons. A young account, much younger than your AAoA (average age of accounts), with insignificant effect on your util --sounds like there should be no problems, either now or when the account stops reporting in 10 years.

I'd say that you should print off a statement showing a $0 balance, and I would also request that they send you a letter confirming that the account was closed with a $0 balance. Save both of these, because ya just never knew.

If you haven't already, read fused's "Closing Credit Cards", linked in my siggy below.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}