cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a CU Secured card, will opening something else with them help?

tag
nitrov
Established Contributor

Re: Closing a CU Secured card, will opening something else with them help?

@KennyS2006 wrote:
Wow. just wow.

My thoughts exactly.

Never got a call back from the manager today. We'll see what happens tomorrow I guess.

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 11 of 14
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

what cu is this??
Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 12 of 14
nitrov
Established Contributor

Brightstar CU in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Message 13 of 14
nitrov
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@nitrov wrote:

So, I spoke to a credit card underwriter at the CU and explained my credit profile before apping and asked what my odds are for approval. I explained I had a lot of recent inquiries from buying my first house and needing credit for home improvement, etc. and she said they would NOT decline an app due to inquiries. Apped, got the HP on Equifax, score came back exactly as I said it would, she said "ok, we can approve you for $5000 at an interest rate of 16.99% right now, once your credit improves, we can look at it again, lower the rate, and increase the CL" I was excited!

I closed out the secured card, sent VOI and VOA, then got a call an hour later saying a 2nd and final underwriter said NO GO on the credit card because of my recent INQS! **bleep**! I called to speak with a manager and explained everything to her and am waiting to get a call back supposedly. These CUs can be so ridiculous sometimes! I was excited about a $5000 CL and now they're saying NOTHING? and a wasted inq?! UGH. Fingers crossed for recon with that mgr.

Sorry to hear about them changing their mind.  I hope it works out for you though.  Keep us posted.

SHOCKINGLY got the call back from the lending manager for the CU and she approved the $5000 CL for me! Yippee! It's a hell of a lot better than a denial and wasted HP! I'm content for now. Gardening for 6 months then I'll app for a "refi" as they call it, for a CLI with lower rate. Hopefully they take care of me!

Thanks for the advice guys, glad I decided to give them a shot even though it was a pain in the you-know-what.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.