Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a High Limit Credit Card

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing a High Limit Credit Card

Welcome to the forums!

If you're not charging anything, then your accounts may be ignored for inactivity if it's gone on long enough.  The whole tradeline drops out of some calculations.

Also if you recently acquired the mortgage and/or auto loan, you may have been re-bucketed as well.  There's a bunch of other resasons why your credit score may have dropped but closing a card is incredibly rare to be beneficial to one's FICO score as others have pointed out.... and unless you have a billizion cards (like 20+) it's not even worth considering that option.

Also I'll ask, where are you pulling your score from?

        
Message 11 of 18
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

A card with a $50K limit might not be factored into your utilization for FICO scoring purposes.  I might be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure I've read posts here that seem to indicate that a credit limit above $35K on a credit card does not factor into UTIL.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 12 of 18
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

A card with a $50K limit might not be factored into your utilization for FICO scoring purposes.  I might be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure I've read posts here that seem to indicate that a credit limit above $35K on a credit card does not factor into UTIL.

I think this is partially true. AFAIK the portion of the tradeline in excess of 35k or 40k (I can't recall which one) would not factor into util calculations, but the first 35k would.

So, as I understand it-  if the balance is reported as $500 then fico would treat it as 500/35k for util purposes rather than 500/50k. Not sure if this 15k exclusion would hold true for overall util or if it is tradeline specific

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 13 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@OptimasPrime wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

I think this is partially true. AFAIK the portion of the tradeline in excess of 35k or 40k (I can't recall which one) would not factor into util calculations, but the first 35k would.

So, as I understand it-  if the balance is reported as $500 then fico would treat it as 500/35k for util purposes rather than 500/50k. Not sure if this 15k exclusion would hold true for overall util or if it is tradeline specific

I'm not certain on this one, but admittedly I don't know many folks that I can go ask on 35K CL credit cards; however, some revolving accounts above the 35K mark tend to get counted as installment loans (LOC's specifically from what I've read), and as such I think they aren't utilized for revolving calculation.  I could be wrong on this, but that's what's been reported here.

        
Message 14 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Why wouldn't limits that high get figured into util...??? Im just curious. My highest in on $12k :-(. Lol...

But to the op.... You need to use credit more... You know what they say... 'use it or lose it' ; that seems to ring especially true when it comes to credit. And keep that AU acct on your report!!!!

:-) best wishes
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 18
Cpbball3

Message 16 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Don't close it. Use it for purchases you otherwise make. Don't pay in advance. Let the balances report but pif after the statement cuts. Your FICO is hurting because you aren't using credit at all. Prepaying to get a zero balance reporting is counterproductive if you don't show prior usage,

It's been reported that high CLs (over 40k) may be discarded for FICO purposes. That could be a cause.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

Can you request a credit limit decrease?

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.