Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a credit card that you haven't even received yet

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Closing a credit card that you haven't even received yet

Last week I was approved for the Barclay Rewards card, this was before I knew I'd get approved for a few better cards later on. I haven't even received this card yet, I'm expecting it sometime this week. Will it kill my relationship with Barclays going forward if I call to close this account? Will it still show up on my credit report for 10 years?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing a credit card that you haven't even received yet

yes it will show up.

i have seen the closing date report older than the issue date on reports when this is done.  you may as well keep it alive.

Message 2 of 9
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Okay, thanks for the response.

I'll prob just keep it then, at least for six months. If they don't give me a decent CLI at that point then I'll probably close it then.

Message 3 of 9
chalupaman
Super Contributor

You can always go for another Barclay card down the road like the Sallie Mae and move the CL of your Rewards card over and then close it if you want. That's what I'd do.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 9
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

You can always go for another Barclay card down the road like the Sallie Mae and move the CL of your Rewards card over and then close it if you want. That's what I'd do.

Good point, Cap One doesn't do this apparently so I guess I automatically ruled it out for other cards. Is Cap One the only major provider that won't allow you to do this?

Message 5 of 9
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Pretty much

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 6 of 9
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

Keep it open! There's no AF and it may help you with the credit Nazis down the road Smiley Wink

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dapps06 wrote:

Last week I was approved for the Barclay Rewards card, this was before I knew I'd get approved for a few better cards later on. I haven't even received this card yet, I'm expecting it sometime this week. Will it kill my relationship with Barclays going forward if I call to close this account? Will it still show up on my credit report for 10 years?

Why bother?

Build the relationship and app for a better card from them later with a bigger limit!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep it open, and just put an occasional small purchase on it every other month or so.

You've taken the inquiry and the blow to your AAoA, so closing it now does you no good. 

Good behavior with the card will help you build a history with Barclaycard, and that can help you get a Sallie Mae, Arrival, a cobranded store card, or something else more useful with them down the road.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.