Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a multi-fee credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing a multi-fee credit card?

When closing a credit card with high fees, (FP) and a monthly service fee, and a fee to make the payment, when is it "safe" to do it. When you get the statement? Or before it even cuts? I dont want it to close it, then see fees being carried as a balance. I want a true pif transaction. Not sure how the monthly fee would be billed, or handled if i closed early, or mid month. How to close safely, and in full?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing a multi-fee credit card?

You could always call and speak to a CSR and make it clear you want to pay all charges now. Lets hope they don't charge a fee for talkng to a CSR Smiley Surprised
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never have much luck getting a straight answer out of them card hustlers.Always try and talk me out of something or into something. Go figure? Bad, things have happened to good people here, ive read even though something else entirely different was disscussed over the phone. it's like yes, ill go ahead and take care of that for you, next thing you know, your cr is all fouled up. Ive read so much negatives, im worried they will close account with only 8 dollar fee still showing. But i will call tomarrow, and wish upon a star! Thanks, debtisgood.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close - call back in 5 days to confirm $0 bal. RUN!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I recently closed my multi-fee Applied Card bank credit card. I paid the all the fees for the month as soon as they posted, then when the statement cut I owed a $0 balanace. As soon as I received my statement in the mail, I called to close the account. The CSR I spoke with didn't attempt to talk me out of closing the account, she simply asked my reason, she clicked that reason on her computer, closed the account, and said Thank You for Banking with Applied Bank.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

iLovepizza,I will do this how you suggest. i am starting to RUN, NOW! Want to get a good head start. Never fault a man till you have walked a mile in his shoes.. That way when the trouble starts, not only will you be a mile away, but you will have his shoes too!!! HEE, here i come FP.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wise YoungMan21. So i should, Wait for my next statement showing balance owed. and this should be total owed including all fees and such? Wait for statement to CUT, is this same as the statement closing date? Pay the full ammount shown. Then call up to confirm 5 days later. Did i get it right in my mind?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two First Premier cards that I close. One 12/07 and the other 01/08. As soon as the statement cut, I sent in a check payment. When the payment posted to the accounts, I called and requested for them to close. They will do everything in the book  for you not to close the account. Each time I talked with 3 people from customer service to account mangers. I told them to close my account and make sure that it states on the CB "Closed at Customer Request". I also had them to send me out letter stating that the accounts were close just for my records. But they will try to talk you into keeping the accounts. Close and RUN,RUN,RUN,RUN.........................................................

Message Edited by stilettolover on 06-02-2008 07:55 AM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also be sure to keep that final billing so they cant later say you owed.  I would check that account later than 5 days, like the next bill cycle call in and make sure that card is 0 bal. and closed.  But then I'm kinda like that when I do something.  Like I still check every mth to make sure my hubbys truck shows PIF and thats after 5 mths, weird I know.  Good Luck Vicki
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.