AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closing all but 2 cards

Interesting read, thank you driftlessSmiley Happy
Message 31 of 38
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

This is why I downgraded my CashRewards to the Platinum. Didn't want to close it outright since it's my highest limit and second oldest card. Plus NFCU does send out decent balance transfer promos in case I need one. Will be closing my DCCU card in January though. No point in keeping a $1500 limit around despite being my oldest account.

TD Bank will be on the chopping block at the two year mark. I just received a cancellation letter unless I use the card in the next 60 days.

My second Wyndham rewards Visa is going bye bye next April. 

Keeping Discover, one Wyndham rewards, Chase IHG, NFCU Plat, NFCU GoRewards, Citi Hilton (no telling what that one ends up being converted to).

Message 32 of 38
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

Not all do. Barclays alerts aren't real time, more like 24-48 hours after the fact. Chase and Citi are instant.

Message 33 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hrm, serious question, how many people are actually worried about having fraudulent charges on their credit cards?

It's happened a number of times to me, maybe once a year on average... it's been a few minutes out of my life each time.no big deal at all and generally the lender algorithms are pretty good at detecting it.

These days I wind up taking it a step further anyway as I just import all my transactions into my budgetting app maybe twice a month and as I'm categorizing things if something really wierd comes up I can go ask the lender what's up.

        
Message 34 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Hrm, serious question, how many people are actually worried about having fraudulent charges on their credit cards?

It's happened a number of times to me, maybe once a year on average... it's been a few minutes out of my life each time.no big deal at all and generally the lender algorithms are pretty good at detecting it.

These days I wind up taking it a step further anyway as I just import all my transactions into my budgetting app maybe twice a month and as I'm categorizing things if something really wierd comes up I can go ask the lender what's up.

+1 Rev...Agree 100%! 

Message 35 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Judging from posts here, I would say a number of people are!  At least once a week there are complaints and people sounding as if they have been violated.     IMO, very much an overreaction, but they obviously do worry!

Message 36 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Judging from posts here, I would say a number of people are!  At least once a week there are complaints and people sounding as if they have been violated.     IMO, very much an overreaction, but they obviously do worry!

It's unusual for me to go more than a few months without card-not-present fraud on one of my four Chase cards. Considering that only a limited amount of my spend goes on Chase cards, I have to wonder if they have more data breaches than they admit to. Alerts are very useful, though, and I get VIP treatment from some unusual circumstances. The Executive team always gets replacements to me quickly.

@MAZDA3 wrote:

Not all do. Barclays alerts aren't real time, more like 24-48 hours after the fact. Chase and Citi are instant.

I closed Sallie over the nerf, and am thinking about closing Arrival (which I rarely use). It will be gone when I get set up with First Tech (a bumpy process after an address change).

The Barclaycard delay does bother me. I've set up alerts to tell me when my available credit is less than $X (where I set $X to be my CL) but those emails are sometimes delayed, too.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 37 of 38
driftless
Valued Contributor

I think that the instant alerts are great, I have no fear of real fraud damage as a result.  

I did close my Freedom card as I hardly ever use it, I normally have 2 credit cards and 1 debit card in my little card holder.  I am in my happy place for number of cards again.  Smiley Wink

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.