Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an authorized user AMEX Gold Card and opening a personal one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing an authorized user AMEX Gold Card and opening a personal one

I am an authorized user on AMEX gold account of my friend. This helped me to improve my credit score very quickly. Now I would like to get my own AMEX and close the authorized one. How this will affect my credit history ? Should I open a new AMEX first and close the authorized then, or I should do oposite ? My credit history is about 2 years only and AMEX is not the oldest card. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing an authorized user AMEX Gold Card and opening a personal one

Welcome to the forum.  For better exposure, a moderator will probably move your thread to the Credit section.

As for your question, I'm curious if your authorized user account has to be removed.  It will help your score as far as utilization is concerned.   

You should apply for your card before you close the authorized user card.

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that it has to be removed, but I would like to have a personal account with full-control. Thanks

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon the type of review done by the propspecive creditor, and thus no one can give you a definite answer except for the creditor doing the approval process.

One simple fact remains, from which you can draw your concludion as to whether to first ditch the AU.

Whenever you have an AU reported to your credit file, your credit score will not be representative of your personal history, and anyone reviewing your score will have no way to back out the effect of any AU on your score.

Some creditors, particularyly when the principal or credit limit requested is small, will save time and $$ by using only your score as an evaluation factor.

Absent any manual review, a solid AU account can be a blessing.

However, as the amount of credit being sought rises, then they are more apt to do a manual review, looking at the innards of your history.

AUs are a great artificial score booster which can help building/rebuilding when score is the primary or only approval ciriterion.

However, if a prospective creditor does a manual review and sees an AU account in your credit report, they may choose to discount or disregard your score in their decisions making since your score is not representative of your own personal history.

Some larger creditors may use their own approval algorithms, and thus the effect of an aritificail AU may not be primary.

Personally, I would ditch the AU and enter into the realm of real approval based on only your own history before doing more apping, once you have reached your apparent stage of building. 

Others are sure to have differing opinions, as one cannot predetermine how a given credit will determine their approval criteria.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

good luck 

Message 5 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

It depends upon the type of review done by the propspecive creditor, and thus no one can give you a definite answer except for the creditor doing the approval process.

^ This.  From what I understand FICO has some way to ignore accounts where one is an AU for piggybacking but they haven't disclosed details so, again, we can't say for certain.  I would guess a negligible difference either way but that's just a guess.  All the OP can really do is apply and see.

@Goblin wrote:

It will help your score as far as utilization is concerned.   

Only with older scoring models IIRC since the Gold is a charge card.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally, when an AU account is closed, it is completely removed from the credit report. It will be as if it never existed for you. Since this appears to be your only card, it will be as if you've never had any credit card, which will ding your scores significantly if the AU was helping you. I would leave the AU account open until you apply for your personal card. Either it isn't helping you, in which case you lose nothing by keeping it open a little longer, or it is helping you, in which case closing it early is very bad and keeping it open is very good. Once you have your own card to build you own portfolio, it doesn't matter so much. 

Message 7 of 8
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I say pull your scores and see where you stand then go from there

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.