Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing and CLD Spree!

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Closing and CLD Spree!

Greetings!

It has been quite a while since I have posed on here. I have been lurking around for a while. 

Today, I decided it was finally time to prune some of the cards in my collection. I have been wanting to do it for a while, but haven't had the heart to do it. I guess I have to be in a certain mood to finally do it. I also did some CLD because I fear that I will be told that I have too much avaliable credit for my income.

Cards Closed:

Citi Diamond Preferred- Totally useless unless you carry a balance. (I don't) -$5,700

DCU- Will close tomorrow when they open. Basic rewards. -$4,300

Local Bank Card- 1 point per dollar crap rewards- $4,125

SallieMae- This one broke my heart. It was between SallieMae or Penfed. Penfed has been open longer.- $14,000

CLD:

Chase Freedom- $23,000 to $15,000

Chase IHG- $12,000 to $1,000 (I got this card just for the sign-up bonus. Need to keep it open until I redeem the rewards next summer.)

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing and CLD Spree!

hmm...I would have done things a little differently. Definitely would have kept SM, did a PC with Diamond to DC and left IHG with at least $5k but if this is what gives you peace of mind I support it Smiley Happy Congrats
Message 2 of 8
Aahz
Established Contributor

Binge and PURGE Smiley Happy

@ilovelisa wrote:

Chase IHG- $12,000 to $1,000 (I got this card just for the sign-up bonus. Need to keep it open until I redeem the rewards next summer.)

Are you aware you can downgrade your IHG Select to a no annual fee IHG Classic once it passes the one year mark?  The fee will post, but then you will get it refunded as long as you downgrade within one month.  The Classic will continue to grant you Gold Status and keep your rewards intact.

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, congratulations for taking action to put your credit limits and available cards where you want them. Each person has to decide for themselves what they would like for credit, and closing and CLD are legitimate decisions.

Regarding the Diamond Preferred, it doesn't get much luv around here after the initial BT period, but they keep sending interesting offers my way, 5% spend bonus categories every few quarters. This quarter it's movies, live theater and dining, kind of like a mini Thank You Preferred, but in a simple statement credit. Combined with an automatic 1.9% APR on purchases for 6 months, so I'm financing a bit of theater purchase tickets for a few months.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
hmm...I would have done things a little differently. Definitely would have kept SM, did a PC with Diamond to DC and left IHG with at least $5k but if this is what gives you peace of mind I support it Smiley Happy Congrats

I wanted to do Diamond to DC, but I have to wait for the intro APR period to end. That ends in January of 2017. Didn't want to wait around that long.

I really did debate the SallieMae. Calling in to close it reaffirmed my decision. Barclay's customer service seems lacking. The rep in retentions was so lackadaisical and sarcastically said "we're sorry to lose another valued customer."

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 5 of 8
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

Binge and PURGE Smiley Happy

@ilovelisa wrote:

Are you aware you can downgrade your IHG Select to a no annual fee IHG Classic once it passes the one year mark?  The fee will post, but then you will get it refunded as long as you downgrade within one month.  The Classic will continue to grant you Gold Status and keep your rewards intact.

Didn't realize that. My AF posts in September. The rewards will be used in entirety in July. 

Message 6 of 8
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wanted to do Diamond to DC, but I have to wait for the intro APR period to end. That ends in January of 2017. Didn't want to wait around that long.

I really did debate the SallieMae. Calling in to close it reaffirmed my decision. Barclay's customer service seems lacking. The rep in retentions was so lackadaisical and sarcastically said "we're sorry to lose another valued customer."

Well, hearing that, I feel less bad when I called Barclay's and they didn't really even try to keep me.

Congrats on the pruning. That's great!

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

I also did some CLD because I fear that I will be told that I have too much avaliable credit for my income.

Your call but it makes no sense IMO.  You won't know that it's a problem until you actually run into it.  Additionally, what is considered "too much" can and does vary from creditor to creditor so there's no univeral line that applies for all creditors out there.  Even if it becomes a problem you can CLD/close as needed if you want to comply with a given creditor.

If your profile and income support it, total limits can be multiples of your income.

That said, don't let MF users dissuade you from closing cards that you see no use for.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.