Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing capital 1 credit cards?

tag
forceedge99
Contributor

Closing capital 1 credit cards?

Hi I'm 23

I want to close my capital one platinum card (credit card I've had the longest had for a year and some months)

and my capital one journey card (had for 8 months )

Total cards I have

Chase freedom (3 months)

citi divedend (3 months)

Amex blue cash everyday (just recived today)

Now what i basically want to do is close the journey and platinum cards i have with capital one, then re open an account with the capital one with the cash back card with no annual fee. I want to cut these two capital one cards because they are basically useless to me.

my credit is perfect. no late payments and paid in full EVERY month. obviously id close each after the full balance is paid off next month.

I just want to know if this will have a bad effect on my credit if i open a new capital one cash back card, then close my other two (platinum and journey cards)

BCE - 12k
Cap 1 QuickSilver - 1.75k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Your FICO® score at Equifax is 725 (Update: Increased to 751) =]
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
forceedge99
Contributor

Re: Closing capital 1 credit cards?

anybody?

BCE - 12k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Message 2 of 15
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

I feel like a quesiton like this about Capital one comes up like once a day on this forum.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 15
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Yeah your score will probly go down temporarily a bit but its better than keeping two useless credit lines open.
Message 4 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum 

IMO you want to app the cap1 card first before considering closing any cards just IMHO tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 15
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Here's the thing, if you close those two cards today, it wont hurt your score until it drops off in ten years. By then, your other cards will aged, but since the Cap one is your oldest, it's gonna have a big hit when it does which is in ten years. Since you want a Cap1 cash back card, why dont you just product change the oldest one and tell them that you don't need the other? 

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 6 of 15
forceedge99
Contributor

I've asked for a change and they still deny me. All they say is to apply for it, which i wouldnt mind doing, plus i get the 100 dollar bonus.

But if i do apply for it i dont want 7 credit cards. (I plan on applying for a travel card eventually)

I plan n closing journey and platinum

opening a cash back card frm capital one, then eventually opening a travel credit card.

I dont want more then 5 credit cards.. plus i NEVER use the jurney or platinum. they just sit in my wallet because my others i benefit more from.

So you think closing thse two cards will effect it that much? Even though in ten years my other cards will have sufficient good history on all of them?

I never miss my payments and i ALWAYS pay in full no matter the balance. And i usually pay a week ahead

BCE - 12k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Message 7 of 15
forceedge99
Contributor

I also want to add my limits

cap 1 platinum 750

cap 1 journey 1500

chase 800

amex 4000

citi 1200

BCE - 12k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Message 8 of 15
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@forceedge99 wrote:

I've asked for a change and they still deny me. All they say is to apply for it, which i wouldnt mind doing, plus i get the 100 dollar bonus.

But if i do apply for it i dont want 7 credit cards. (I plan on applying for a travel card eventually)

I plan n closing journey and platinum

opening a cash back card frm capital one, then eventually opening a travel credit card.

I dont want more then 5 credit cards.. plus i NEVER use the jurney or platinum. they just sit in my wallet because my others i benefit more from.

So you think closing thse two cards will effect it that much? Even though in ten years my other cards will have sufficient good history on all of them?

I never miss my payments and i ALWAYS pay in full no matter the balance. And i usually pay a week ahead

Email the EO. Ask for a product change to cash rewards and request to keep same account. No point adding a new tradeline just to get the cash rewards. EO is the way to go IMO. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 9 of 15
forceedge99
Contributor

well i also figure the 100 sign up bnus isnt to bad either if i went my route. Im asking really if it would hurt so much to close these two cards in ten years?

and if i went your route, d they mail me a new card? or just add the benefits

BCE - 12k
Citi Dividend - 2.4k
Discover It - 2k
Chase - 800
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.