Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing capital one secured card

tag
credit0011
New Contributor

Closing capital one secured card

I wanted to know if i should close my cap one secured card it only has a 300 limit. I was told it will never become unsecured is that true? I have 2 other capital one cards so would it be smart to close it?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closing capital one secured card

@credit0011 wrote:

I wanted to know if i should close my cap one secured card it only has a 300 limit. I was told it will never become unsecured is that true? I have 2 other capital one cards so would it be smart to close it?

it will never unsecure and if you have established other credit since then I would say close it and put that money to better use.

Message 2 of 9
credit0011
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@credit0011 wrote:

it will never unsecure and if you have established other credit since then I would say close it and put that money to better use.

Thanks for the reply your right i could put that money to other cards

Message 3 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

If you have other cards, I don't see the need for it. And that is correct. It will never graduate nor can you pc it to another card. I'm closing mines as well! I would let it stay open till right before the af is due again then 86 it!!
Message 4 of 9
credit0011
New Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
If you have other cards, I don't see the need for it. And that is correct. It will never graduate nor can you pc it to another card. I'm closing mines as well! I would let it stay open till right before the af is due again then 86 it!!

Thanks for the reply im going to 86 this card also. There are better cards out there. Is the barclay rewards card good?

Message 5 of 9
1_2
Contributor

I have a Capital One secured card (1000.00 of my money tied up)  I got in 2010. I plan on closing it very soon even though it is my oldest card.

Closed on home Jan 30, 2013. Yay!

Capital One (secured) $1000.00 | Capital One (former Orchard Bank) $500.00 | First Premier $500.00 | Credit One Bank $750.00 | Wal-Mart $3550.00 | Citi Thank You Preferred $6,800.00 | Discover It $4,800.00 | AMEX BCE $4,500.00
Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@credit0011 wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Thanks for the reply im going to 86 this card also. There are better cards out there. Is the barclay rewards card good?

it can be a good card.

I might go with sallie mae as first choice though since it has better rewards.

Message 7 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

I agree Sallie Mae is the better card. If my credit was in better shape I would have gotten that instead!
Message 8 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

@1_2 wrote:

I have a Capital One secured card (1000.00 of my money tied up)  I got in 2010. I plan on closing it very soon even though it is my oldest card.

It will remain on your credit report for 10yrs. So, I wouldn't worry about it. It just won't be factored into util anymore. Ditch it and get your money back!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.