Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing cards to reduce number of cards recently opened

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing cards to reduce number of cards recently opened

I have 9 total cards opened in the last 6 months and am trying to squeeze in the US Airways before the big bonus disappears. I can't get it with the way things are right now because of my recently opened accounts, including 2 with Barclay. Current TU FICO is ~750.

I'm open to closing a couple cards (got them for the points bonuses) and wondering if that will reduce the number of recently opened cards as Barclay sees it? Will it help if I close one of my Barclay cards? Looking for advice.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Closing cards to reduce number of cards recently opened

The inquiries and accounts will still be there, so I'm not sure how much it would help. The accounts will no longer be considered available credit, but as far as AAOA and inquiries there's nothing you can do except wait.

I'm leaning towards no, it wouldn't help you much. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 13
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

It would not help. The inquiries will be on your report for 2 years, and the accounts for 10 years after closure. Barclays also has a record of when you last applied. The system will likely flag your application, as Barclays is very inquiry and account sensitive, and a manual review will have to be done. And that's when it's up to a human and a not a computer algorithm to decide whether or not you will get approved.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Won't help. Revisit this a year down the line.
Message 4 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

Yea, unfortunatly I think the damage is done and you are probably better off just keeping the accounts at this point. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wont help help  to close them, and it will reduce you available credit. just leave them there and alternate them each month to give them movement!

Message 6 of 13
Lyythine
Established Contributor

I also suggest waiting and letting the accounts age, however, with a 720+ TU score, you may get barclays to approve a third card.  I dont think it will be easy, but if you get auto denied, you may have a case with their UW's in explaining wanting to get the bonus. Also, Barclays will usually let you move credit lines to open a new account if you dont qualify for more credit at this time.  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Won't help. Revisit this a year down the line.

+1. Very smart advice.

Message 8 of 13
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Just wait it out a bit. You don't have to close anything. Let your profile stablilize a lot more.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 13
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

OP,

Everyone who has chimed in have provided valid points. I'd say take their advice. I know I would if I were in your shoes.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.