Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing cards with high credit lines

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing cards with high credit lines

@Anonymous wrote:

I felt so accomplished with a J Crew card at $8,800.  I didn't remember how high the prices were at the store until after I got the card.  Got tired of buying clearance items occassionally and then simply closed it.  I have an $8,500 CL on a Lowes card and quite honestly my Blispay gives me nearly the same options as Lowes but I think I'll keep the Lowes card.  Lowes is the only store card I have left.  My Visas and MC are all at the $5,000 CL area.  It feels like an accomplishment after starting out fresh at the age of 42.  Having 10 CC's at or above $5,000 lines makes me feel like I don't need a $10k or $20k card.  If you have these and can afford to close one then I would probably get rid of the dead weight.

Off the prime subject a bit, but IMO the Lowes card is a great option because it'll give you a 5% discount on every purchase or long term financing - I understand the Bisplay 6 month option, but the Lowes card can be 6-12-18-24 at 0 percent interest, but you have to make monthly payments. The other option for Lowes is their "project" financing for 84 months at a set 5.99 % which is better than any line of credit or credit card (other than perhaps a home equity line) - reserved for major projects and major purchases, but still very valuable IMO when you have a $10,000 roofing job that you are looking at paying.  

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.