Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing credit card

Hey guys so I have two chase cards.  One is a freedom that has 6k and the other is united explorer plus that has 8k.  My annual fee comes up on the explorer in Aug.  Is it best to close the explorer and move all the credit to the freedom?  There is a zero balance on the explorer right now.  I could also downgrade but I mainly used the explorer for no foreigen fees and I already have another card for that.  Don't see no other reason to have the card now.  So what is the best thing to do and would this hurt my fico for closing the card?  Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys so I have two chase cards.  One is a freedom that has 6k and the other is united explorer plus that has 8k.  My annual fee comes up on the explorer in Aug.  Is it best to close the explorer and move all the credit to the freedom?  There is a zero balance on the explorer right now.  I could also downgrade but I mainly used the explorer for no foreigen fees and I already have another card for that.  Don't see no other reason to have the card now.  So what is the best thing to do and would this hurt my fico for closing the card?  Thanks

logic and credit scores just don't mix.......I would personally just SD one of these card after transferring the majority of the CL to the other.  Not an expert but I would personally definitely keep the Freedom card open.  Don't think it will hurt your FICO if they follow the general guidelines and report for 10 years after closure....but the "rules" are subject to change and this could ultimately affect your AAoA at some point.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.