Closing credit cards

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing credit cards

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My eyes aren't good enough to see whether any of the cards in your signature are store cards.  If any of them are, that might feature in your decision making process.  The insurance industry notes how many store cards and gives you a penalty (on their score) for each one that you have.

FICO does not impose a penalty for store cards, but the insurance industry does.

No the only pure store card I had was a Comenity Eddie Bauer card, which I got on impulse under pressure from a cashier, and cancelled a week later.

I had the Care Credit card, which was a bit like a store card in that it was only good at certain places. That's one of the cards I put on the chopping block today.

Today along with Care Credit, I also closed my other 2 Synchrony offerings, the Marvel Mastercard and the Ebates Visa card.... $47k in credit limits, out the window.

Why this card? I found this card to be valuable as it pays you back in addition to having an eBates account  - unless you simply do not shop via eBates.

1. Useless for any purpose other than online purchases. No balance transfers. Prohibitive for cash advances. Interest rate prohibitive for carrying a balance.

2. Interest rates through the roof.

3. The way it came down and greeted me when I was on an eBates related site bugged me and interfered with me getting the transaction done.

4. My personality is such that I don't like being told where to spend my money.

5. I'm not much of a 'spender' anyway; I just kind of pay bills.

6. It's a standalone website; I prefer sites that have multiple accounts on one page, like Amex, Capital One, Barclays, Citi, Chase, etc. It bugged me that I had 3 Synchrony cards for which I had to visit 3 different sites.

7. I fully recognize that it's a super card for cash back online purchases, but (a) I have lots of good cards for making purchases and (b) I'm not much of a purchaser. It's just not something I do a lot of.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My eyes aren't good enough to see whether any of the cards in your signature are store cards.  If any of them are, that might feature in your decision making process.  The insurance industry notes how many store cards and gives you a penalty (on their score) for each one that you have.

FICO does not impose a penalty for store cards, but the insurance industry does.

No the only pure store card I had was a Comenity Eddie Bauer card, which I got on impulse under pressure from a cashier, and cancelled a week later.

I had the Care Credit card, which was a bit like a store card in that it was only good at certain places. That's one of the cards I put on the chopping block today.

Today along with Care Credit, I also closed my other 2 Synchrony offerings, the Marvel Mastercard and the Ebates Visa card.... $47k in credit limits, out the window.

Why this card? I found this card to be valuable as it pays you back in addition to having an eBates account  - unless you simply do not shop via eBates.

1. Useless for any purpose other than online purchases. No balance transfers. Prohibitive for cash advances. Interest rate prohibitive for carrying a balance.

3. The way it came down and greeted me when I was on an eBates related site bugged me and interfered with me getting the transaction done.

6. It's a standalone website; I prefer sites that have multiple accounts on one page, like Amex, Capital One, Barclays, Citi, Chase, etc. It bugged me that I had 3 Synchrony cards for which I had to visit 3 different sites.

7. I fully recognize that it's a super card for cash back online purchases, but (a) I have lots of good cards for making purchases and (b) I'm not much of a purchaser. It's just not something I do a lot of.

Congrats on thinning out the herd!  Smiley Happy

+1 on Ebates... it seems like I get a message from them every two or three days about how I'm pre-qual'ed for a Visa Signature.  I honestly looked around to see if/how it might be valuable to me, but I just don't think it's a good fit for my purchase patterns. 

My only online purchases are eBay, Amazon, and very occasionally Macy's (due to Ebates).  I already get 5%-6% back at Amazon and eBay using GCs from Kroger (which also gives me fuel points), so that leaves Macy's where I only shop a few times a year. 

I'm sure there are some people who are avid online shoppers for whom Ebates is a great match, but I'm just not that person (unless there's something about the Ebates card I'm missing, of course).

As for Synchrony, I've decided that Care Credit might also be on my own chopping block.  It did come in handy when I got a crown and dental implant last year, but after finding out how the provider has to pay the interest during the promo I'm kind of turned off.  In my case I only use it at my dentist, and I actually like the guy (he's been great to me and my family) so if I can get a similar arrangement with another credit product I will.  I also now have more cards (and available credit) than I did when I got Care Credit, so it's not needed as urgently for unexpected dental work.  Another 'plus' to cutting Care Credit loose would be less Synchrony exposure, but that alone isn't driving my decision.

Here's to a slimmed down and well-oiled credit machine in the coming year!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 32
Regular Contributor

Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 13 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on thinning out the herd!  Smiley Happy

+1 on Ebates... it seems like I get a message from them every two or three days about how I'm pre-qual'ed for a Visa Signature.  I honestly looked around to see if/how it might be valuable to me, but I just don't think it's a good fit for my purchase patterns. 

My only online purchases are eBay, Amazon, and very occasionally Macy's (due to Ebates).  I already get 5%-6% back at Amazon and eBay using GCs from Kroger (which also gives me fuel points), so that leaves Macy's where I only shop a few times a year. 

I'm sure there are some people who are avid online shoppers for whom Ebates is a great match, but I'm just not that person (unless there's something about the Ebates card I'm missing, of course).

As for Synchrony, I've decided that Care Credit might also be on my own chopping block.  It did come in handy when I got a crown and dental implant last year, but after finding out how the provider has to pay the interest during the promo I'm kind of turned off. 

Yeah that was really the cold shower for me. Once I learned that, the joy of using the card every couple of months disappeared.

In my case I only use it at my dentist, and I actually like the guy (he's been great to me and my family) so if I can get a similar arrangement with another credit product I will.  I also now have more cards (and available credit) than I did when I got Care Credit, so it's not needed as urgently for unexpected dental work.  Another 'plus' to cutting Care Credit loose would be less Synchrony exposure, but that alone isn't driving my decision.

Here's to a slimmed down and well-oiled credit machine in the coming year!  Smiley Very Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 32
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't argue with you on that. I agree. Close that puppy out.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 15 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would the insurance company do that? Not saying you are wrong, but I don't see why they would care about such a thing?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Red259.  They do this because, in their words....

Insurance industry research shows that consumers who utilize department store accounts to purchase merchandise have more insurance losses.

See reason codes 3082-3084 in the LexisNexis Auto Insurance code list.

I don't know why people who use store cards are more likely to either have accidents or get in more costly accidents than those who do not, but that is apparently so.

Message 17 of 32
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

I've closed and/or merged over 20+ accounts in the past year with no issues whatsoever, but maintained my util in doing so.

Oldest CL is from 2003. Current AAoA is 2yrs3mos..

Chop away my friends!

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 18 of 32
Regular Contributor

909 wrote:
I have a dumb Barclaycard Apple rewards card. It has a $2K CL and they won't raise it w/out a HP. It earned 3x rewards for an iPad purchase but it won't fully cover a MacBook purchase. It's the last card I have with a CL below $9K and I haven't appreciated the service I've received. The only reason I keep it is to help my AAoA down the road and concern that cancelling it would harm my scores.

Question: I have six other revolvers, 5 opened in 2016 and one opened in 2012. I also have a mortgage and car loan. Oldest account is 28 years (closed) and AAoA is about 5 years. Should I be concerned about closing the Barclay card from an AAoA or score perspective?

Thanks.

CreditGuyinDixie wrote:
Nope, closing it will not alter your AAoA at all. Is it clear to you why it won't alter your AAoA? Real important for you to understand that.

It might have had a (slightly) bad effect on your score if you had very few open credit cards. In order to get the highest scores you need 3 or more cards. In your case, even after you close this, you will still have SIX other credit cards. So you are fine.

The only concern I have is how old this particular Barclay card is. You don't tell us that. We need to know how old this card is, and whether it is your oldest open account. If your oldest open account is another account -- what account is that and how old is it?

With these questions I am trying to get clear what will happen to your "Age of Oldest Account" when your ultra old but closed account falls off.

Thanks for always trying to educate forum members!

The Barclay is in fact my newest card at about 7 mos. old. My oldest account at EX and EQ isn28 years old and was closed in 2008 so it is scheduled to drop off in 2017. It will be replaced by a closed USBank account that is my oldest card at TU at 14.9 years. It will drop in 2023 or so. As I understand, my OA at EQ and EX will drop from 28 years to 15 years in 2017. In 2023, that closed USBank acct, opened in 2002, will be about 21 years old and will drop to be replaced by a CapOne card opened in 2012. A few old mortgages will be dropping off in the meantime.

OA and AAoA can be a bit tough to calculate without a spreadsheet. Smiley Happy

FICO today via CCT:

EX and EQ: OA, 28.5 years, AAoA, 6.6 years

TU: OA, 14.9, AAoA, 5.2 yrs

Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

As your youngest card then there is no issue whatsoever with closing it.  It it was your oldest open card then in ten years the decision to close it would have caused your "age of oldest account" to drop.  (Since in 9.9 years it would be your oldest account.)   But since you have other open cards older than it that you are keeping, the decision to close it now will never affect your "age of oldest."

Good decision!

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.