Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing deceased spouse's credit cards

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing deceased spouse's credit cards

I'm so sorry for your loss! Welcome to the forum hopefully we can help in your credit journey.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 11 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I just wanted to add that it is "up to 10 years," not 10 years. The data furnisher or bureau can delete the tradeline at anytime and sometimes they do, as little as 12 months later. This is especially true if you have lots of accounts and INQ with EQ, who will purge older positive data to make room for newer. These accounts could stay on for 10 years or 2 or 5, so keep that in mind.

+1.

Sorry about your loss. 

Generally, the accounts stay for around 10 years, though they sometimes fall off earlier or later. If you are lucky, the account may still remain on your file even after 10 years. Best to just call the creditors and have them transfer the account to your name. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 15
maksimfa
Contributor

Don't have much to add, except my prayers and sympathys to you and your loved ones.  I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Message 13 of 15
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I'm very sorry for your loss.  Smiley Sad

One thing you might ask of the creditors is if they will "transfer" the accounts into your name;  You may have mixed results with this but I believe that some creditors, AMEX maybe?, will consider these requests.   

when my mom died 3 years ago, i called discover to cancel her acct (10k CL).  they asked me if i wanted to transfer the acct to my name (i had never been on the acct, not even as an AU).

i declined, so i don't know if it would been a HP (likely), but at least they asked

sorry for your loss and good luck with the credit issues

Message 14 of 15
desertoaks

Thank you all for your condolences.  They are greatly appreciated.  AND Thank you for your tips and information.  Taking over the finances has been a huge learning experience.  I can use all the input I can get.

Sorry about the delay in my reply.  I had a sudden family emergency trip.

I guess my best next moves are to request transfers for those AU CCs to my name or just close them in one fell swoop, and request increasing the CLs on my own CCs that I'm using more now.  I'll just wait 'til my credit score settles out before looking into a car loan or mortgage refinance. 

Thanks again to all of you who commented.

WDW
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.