cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing low CL card is better or keep them?

tag
syul9088
Established Member

Closing low CL card is better or keep them?

Hi, Fellow forum members! 

I recently added on my wallet 4 different cards.

AMEX BCE($8,200), Chase Freedom ($6,000), Chase Slate ($1,000), Discover IT ($500)

I have very thin credit file and only 1 month history my own. I had about 1 year AU history. (Recently got a green card that's why very thin credit history)

I don't have to BT for now So, I would not use Chase Slate card.. and It is also very low CL. I will try to CLI on Discover after 3 month.

I am also waiting to get 61day 3X CLI on my Amex card..

Should I have to close Slate for future that I would apply new one or request CLI for all my cards? Is that not good show on my CR that low CL card to get high CL when I app for new card in near future?? 

I want to hear from you guys that you already had an experiences or any advice is very thanksful..

Sorry for bad grammar.. Thanks!

Chase Freedom(6k), Chase Slate(1k), Amex BCP(5k AU), Amex Plat(NPSL AU), Amex Delta Plat(3k AU)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Closing low CL card is better or keep them?

@syul9088 wrote:

Hi, Fellow forum members! 

I recently added on my wallet 4 different cards.

AMEX BCE($8,200), Chase Freedom ($6,000), Chase Slate ($1,000), Discover IT ($500)

I have very thin credit file and only 1 month history my own. I had about 1 year AU history. (Recently got a green card that's why very thin credit history)

I don't have to BT for now So, I would not use Chase Slate card.. and It is also very low CL. I will try to CLI on Discover after 3 month.

I am also waiting to get 61day 3X CLI on my Amex card..

Should I have to close Slate for future that I would apply new one or request CLI for all my cards? Is that not good show on my CR that low CL card to get high CL when I app for new card in near future?? 

I want to hear from you guys that you already had an experiences or any advice is very thanksful..

Sorry for bad grammar.. Thanks!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing low CL card is better or keep them?

You could close it and transfer the limit or some of the limit over to your freedom if you like. You can also turn it into a Freedom probably and transfer one 1k over from your other Freedom to maximize your caps. (I think the caps are per Freedom not per person, but I'm not entirely sure.) With such a limited file, it would be good to keep them open for a while if you want. That is unless it is just bothersome to keep it. Having a low limit on a card shouldn't hurt you per say, however some believe that it would hinder lenders from extending you larger lines with small ones on your report.

What's your AAoA? If it's less than 5, personally, I would keep the card.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.