Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing my Amex PRG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing my Amex PRG

Is there a minimum amount of time you have to have this card open before closing it, after recieving the spend bonus 50K points?

I know some products have a minimum of 6 months or 12, but I really don't use the card since getting my CSP and Prestige.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing my Amex PRG

You'll lose any accrued MR points if you don't have the MR account linked to another MR-earning card, regardless of how long you've been signed up. I can't tell from your signature if your other two Amex's are MR-earning (I know the Blue isn't, no idea about the Business)

Honestly the safest thing to do is to transfer them to an airline partner and then close. They won't claw anything back that's already been transferred.

Message 2 of 9
DrForce
Valued Member

You'll need another MR earning card in order to keep your points you earned with the PRG. Many like the Everday card because it has no annual fee. 

Message 3 of 9
PowerMan572
Contributor

I would not cancel before the first year with Amex. You risk being blacklisted. Amex frowns upon this and they don't forget.

Plus, there is no annual fee on this card for your first year. So why cancel? You are getting 50,000 points + $200 in airline credit ($100 for 2016 and $100 for 2017) then go ahead and cancel after the first year.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

wait for the Amex Everyday 25,000 pts to come up again. app then close PRG before AF kicks in. 

Message 5 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

No.  AmEx may or may not look unfavorably on this but as long as you've taken care of your MR points you can close it.  Consider cards more carefully before applying in future.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with everybody here that you should at least keep the card until the AF next year and take advantage of the airline fee credit. If you download mileage plus x app you can be reimbursed for amazon gift cards!

Message 7 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@PowerMan572 wrote:

I would not cancel before the first year with Amex. You risk being blacklisted. Amex frowns upon this and they don't forget.

Plus, there is no annual fee on this card for your first year. So why cancel? You are getting 50,000 points + $200 in airline credit ($100 for 2016 and $100 for 2017) then go ahead and cancel after the first year.

No they blacklist you for defaulting not closing one of their cards in your own free will.... big difference there 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@PowerMan572 wrote:

No they blacklist you for defaulting not closing one of their cards in your own free will.... big difference there 

+1

There's no issue with closing it right away (folks have even posted about doing so before) but since the OP already has the card, has taken the AAoA hit and the HP, I don't see the harm in keeping at least long enough to cash in on some Amex offers, not to mention the flight credit/gift card benefit others have already mentioned. 

If there's no plans to travel right away, the MileagePlus X app portal seems to be a sure-thing as well, at least based on posts from other sites (do a Google search for more info on this).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.