Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing my Cap1 secured card???

tag
ssdc1980
New Contributor

Closing my Cap1 secured card???

I called Cap1 about an hour ago in order to ask a few questions about closing my secured card. But before I could reach an actual human I accidentally closed my secured card via their automated "skynet" system.

After going through a few automated menus finally it said it would connect me with a rep. The system asked me what I was calling in regards to in order to better direct my call and when I said closing my account it responded with "your account has been deactivated. Your refund will be mailed...blah...blah"

The Problem: I had a balance still on the card. Although it was less then the amount of my deposit.

Question: Will them using the security deposit to cover the remaining balance adversely effect me in any way????

I spoke to 2 different CSA who both assured me that this would have no negative effect and that my account would show paid off with perfect payment history. But I figured I would ask everybody here, albeit retroactively... 

Thanks everyone...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing my Cap1 secured card???

When I closed mine, they paid off the balance within about 2 weeks.   If you have a payment due before they apply the payment, I suggest you make it to be sure there is no problems.

They were very slow with the remaining check, I called them to remind them about 2 1/2 months after.

Message 2 of 6
DVH1980
Contributor

When I closed mine I did not have balance but got my check in about 2 weeks.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 3 of 6
ssdc1980
New Contributor

My next payment is due on the 23rd. Should I make a min payment today just incase or will that payment ever go though seeing as how they deactivated my account??

Message 4 of 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

hope they dont jack you up my friend

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@ssdc1980 wrote:

My next payment is due on the 23rd. Should I make a min payment today just incase or will that payment ever go though seeing as how they deactivated my account??

Your online account should still work to make payments.   I would do it, small price to pay for piece of mind. .

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.