Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing out First Premier Bank - need advice

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

Closing out First Premier Bank - need advice

I was just approved for 7 new cards with nice CL's

I have two FPB cards and I would like to cancel them or just 1.   Im going to do a blanace transfer to one of my new cards.

I've read the cancelling credit cards thread and I know I can take a hit of a few points.

I just want to know am I making the right decision?

These are my cards with history:

FPB opened 2004     750 limit

FBP opened 2008    700 limit

Chase opened 2008     800 limit

Target openeed 2013    200 limit

Util 3%

Fico Scores  TU 735, EQ 680, EX 684

Number of Accounts : 12  (8 new ones opened this month)

Inquiries   19, 10 are getting ready to fall off

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing out First Premier Bank - need advice

Close them and call it a day. Closing the cards does not itself cause any point loss because positive accounts remain on your CR for up to ten years, regardless whether it remains open or closed it still is a positive account for you. The only time you would likely lose some points is if closing them greatly increased your overall utilization. Considering how low FP limits are I doubt that will be a problem. So by all means close them and give up those ridiculous fees.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Points, smoints.  Close them out, they served your previous needs. 

1.  CLOSE them out for good.

2.  Hit your local liquor store for a bottle of Fireball and let the shots flow in celebration of your divorce from a "predatory" lender.

Congrats!

Message 3 of 13
glamchick
Established Contributor

OMG ahahahahaahha  Love #2

I also meant to mention  i had a few 30 day lates on the FPB from 2012,  will that information dissapear?

My oldest card is 2004 so that wont affect my history close them?

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 4 of 13
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

I also meant to mention  i had a few 30 day lates on the FPB from 2012,  will that information dissapear?

Unfortunately not, it will stay on your reports until 2019 (stays on for 7 years). 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@glamchick wrote:

No, all information from FP will remain until it ages off.  The only possible impact is possibly utilization increases based on balances on other cards.

Message 6 of 13
glamchick
Established Contributor

This is awesome news!!  I can't wait to make the phone call to cancel!!

I guess the lates won't matter after a while anyways.

Thanks for making my day a happy one!

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 7 of 13
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

I have two FPB cards and I would like to cancel them or just 1.   Im going to do a blanace transfer to one of my new cards.

I've read the cancelling credit cards thread and I know I can take a hit of a few points.

Util 3%

CLOSE THEM (yes I'm yelling...haha) You just got approved for 7 cards so I doubt you'll be applying for more credit here in the near future. If you take the small point hit for closing accounts you'll more than make up for it with your new accounts once it becomes time to apply for more credit. Since you have better cards no sense in paying for these two blood sucking accounts that aren't doing you any good. Plus the second card you opened up 4 years later has a smaller limit?? That's bass ackwards!

In all seriousness though, close them and move on. Less for you to try to juggle especially with all of your new accounts. Unfortunately the lates will stay for up to 7 years after the late was made. So they should fall off sometime in 19'. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 8 of 13
glamchick
Established Contributor

Yes I was thinking the same thing... less to handle and worry about esp all their fees!

Im really excited about having a Penfed Rewards Visa!   It will make up for the fees I paid FPB LOL.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

Util 3%

If they have bad terms, such as, e.g., annual fee + bad interest rates, I would call up, tell them you're going to cancel. They may make a "retention" offer. If they offer to drop annual fee and reduce interest rates in order to keep you, then hear them out. If their proposal is good, keep the accounts open; if it's not good, go ahead with cancellation. 

10 years from now you will take a 'ding' for losing your oldest account, and lowering your average age of accounts, but since you're going to have a bunch of old accounts by then, it's not going to be a big deal.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.