Did you mean: 

Closing personal spg card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Closing personal spg card

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I'm leaning towards closing my personal spg card since I have the business card now and I don't think spg gold will get me much more than the credit card does already. What happens if I take the rentention offer, get the 500 pts but don't make the additional 1k spend for 1k points and then close the card. Do they claw back those 500 pts? If I close the card now with purchases from this cycle do I not get spg points for that spend? If I close the spg card next month will I get a full refuind on the AF that I paid?  

They only offered you 1.5K SPG points? Yuck. I got 5,000 points the last time I called.

Wow. 5k points I would have kept the card for sure. The offer that was made to me seems to be the default offer being made to most people recently though so I don't feel singled out. Unlike with citi AA which is really screwing me with requiring 1k spend to offset an AF when they let others offset with $95 spend. I was tempted to close the card just over that, but decided not to because I may have future AA flights in the next year where the benefits would be worthwhile. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing personal spg card

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I'm leaning towards closing my personal spg card since I have the business card now and I don't think spg gold will get me much more than the credit card does already. What happens if I take the rentention offer, get the 500 pts but don't make the additional 1k spend for 1k points and then close the card. Do they claw back those 500 pts? If I close the card now with purchases from this cycle do I not get spg points for that spend? If I close the spg card next month will I get a full refuind on the AF that I paid?  

They only offered you 1.5K SPG points? Yuck. I got 5,000 points the last time I called.

Wow. 5k points I would have kept the card for sure. The offer that was made to me seems to be the default offer being made to most people recently though so I don't feel singled out. Unlike with citi AA which is really screwing me with requiring 1k spend to offset an AF when they let others offset with $95 spend. I was tempted to close the card just over that, but decided not to because I may have future AA flights in the next year where the benefits would be worthwhile. 

I put close to half of my spend on just this card when not meeting a spend bonus, it earns AA miles faster just about anything else on general spend, plus I occasionally hit up Sheraton hotels on business and leisure..

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.