Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing smaller accounts?

tag
Katobie129
Valued Member

Closing smaller accounts?

Hello to all. 

I'm in the superb position of being able to pay off a whole bunch of stuff in the next 48 hours.  (I own a rental house outright, it is sold to a cash buyer and closing tomorrow.)

I have the ability to pay off 90% of what I owe except my mortgage.  In my opinion, right now I have WAY too many credit cards.....7 or 8 store cards, Amex, Discover, and 5 different M/C or VISA's:  Sears M/C, Best Buy M/C, etc.   I am considering closing most of the store cards (which are not my oldest cards) and at least 3 of the M/C's (also not my oldest cards).  

What would be left as currently open debts on my credit report:

Mortgage on current house until it's sold

Mortgage on new house

Discover card $15K limit    approx $3K balance after payment tomorrow

Care Credit   $3.5K limit, $875 bal after tomorrow

Chase Freedom Rewards M/C  $800 bal after tomorrow (unsure of limit, think it's a bit low at $3.5K?)

Amex 0 balance 

Lowes Card  $6100 limit  $1.2K balance after tomorrow

Paypal  $3500 limit  0 balance

Credit Union LOC  $2500 limit   $450 bal after tomorrow

What I'm wondering is whether or not I'm shooting myself in the foot by closing 13 accounts.  4 are installment loans, 1 line of credit, 8 credit cards.  None of these are my oldest accounts.   I'm just trying to simplify my finances.  Current credit scores are in the 700-725 range, heavily weighted by high DTI. 

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing smaller accounts?

Trim the fat and close cards that have gotten you in trouble.
Message 2 of 13
Katobie129
Valued Member

Thanks for the comment, but I'm not quite sure why you think I'm in trouble?  My credit scores are over 700 and are greatly influenced by DTI.  Score simulator calculated that after the payoffs I'm planning tomorrow, my score woud be in the 770-780 range.  Additonally, I just got approved for a mortgage on a new house and mortgage with exactly 1 day in underwriting and 3.125% 0 pts.  And that approval was not counting on my current home to be paid off, either, and I already have it rented for after when I move to the new house at an amount that makes my mortgage payment every month.  Doesn't actually sound too bad to me...am I missing something?

What I'm looking for are more concrete ideas about how high of available credit is a good place to be, or if it's purely a utilization percentage that matters.  Does sitting at 9% of a $1K total limit count the same as sitting at 9% of a $25K total limit?  That's helping me to decide which cards to close. I currently work full time and will be going to grad school also full time starting in January, and am looking to simplify life as much as possible before then. 

Other than aging accounts (and none of the ones I'm thinking of closing are older) is there any negative impact to closing cards?  I've tried to be careful to make sure what's left is at least one revolving account, at least one installment loan, 1 mortgage (2 for a while but not likely more than a few months).  I'm also trying to make sure what cards I do decide to carry are a good mix of credit and charge accounts, and maximize my cash back & travel rewards.

Thanks again for insights.  It's an exciting place to be, and one I have worked VERY hard to reach. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Katobie129 wrote:

Hello to all. 

I'm in the superb position of being able to pay off a whole bunch of stuff in the next 48 hours.  (I own a rental house outright, it is sold to a cash buyer and closing tomorrow.)

I have the ability to pay off 90% of what I owe except my mortgage.  In my opinion, right now I have WAY too many credit cards.....7 or 8 store cards, Amex, Discover, and 5 different M/C or VISA's:  Sears M/C, Best Buy M/C, etc.   I am considering closing most of the store cards (which are not my oldest cards) and at least 3 of the M/C's (also not my oldest cards).  

What would be left as currently open debts on my credit report:

Mortgage on current house until it's sold

Mortgage on new house

Discover card $15K limit    approx $3K balance after payment tomorrow

Care Credit   $3.5K limit, $875 bal after tomorrow

Chase Freedom Rewards M/C  $800 bal after tomorrow (unsure of limit, think it's a bit low at $3.5K?)

Amex 0 balance 

Lowes Card  $6100 limit  $1.2K balance after tomorrow

Paypal  $3500 limit  0 balance

Credit Union LOC  $2500 limit   $450 bal after tomorrow

What I'm wondering is whether or not I'm shooting myself in the foot by closing 13 accounts.  4 are installment loans, 1 line of credit, 8 credit cards.  None of these are my oldest accounts.   I'm just trying to simplify my finances.  Current credit scores are in the 700-725 range, heavily weighted by high DTI. 

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

I find it hard to understand what the question is.

You mention 4 installment loans, which are treated totally differently than revolving credit.

Please give us a clear picture of what you will have left after the payoffs.

1. As to 4 installment loans, on each what was original loan amount, what is balance left, and when was loan taken out?

2. As to 9 revolving accounts, on each what is credit limit, what is balance, and what is age of account?

Then we can give you our 2 cents on what to keep and what to close.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 13
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

IME, this plan will lose you some points.

When I recently paid off one mortgage and opened nother my score took a dip, I think the alogorthns don't like the high loan amout to balance vs. a loan that is more paid off, just IMO, because nothing else really explains my score drop.

Closing installments always hurts you

How much is your utilization going to go up when you close these cc's?  I'm sure you know higher utilization will hurt.  Will you need the utilization cushion in the future?

You will have balances on 7/9 cc's

BUT, if you pay less interest, and feel better with a simplified portfolio, does it really matter?  Are there any cc's you want, or any loans?  If not then why worry about a 770 FICO vs. a 720 FICO?

Message 5 of 13
Katobie129
Valued Member

Sillykitty1, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your post....you gave me some good points to think about.  After reading your post, I sat down with all of the accounts and looked at account ages, and credit limits, etc. What I actually ended up doing was to paying off almost everything but closing no accounts at all.  I don't see a good reason to limit available credit, as long as I'm not using it.  Between the houses, work, upcoming surgery and moving, I had kind of gotten tunnel vision about simplifying things, but in reality, that would have lost points, as you pointed out.   I left one installment loan: a student loan that is in deferment until December, and a small balance on 2 CC's.  I paid off 2 vehicles, a tractor, a bunch of credit cards, one student loan and 3 lines of credit, but left the credit/charge cards all open.  Current DTI is sitting at 5.5%.  Most of these don't actually report until the end of September, but if the score simulator is right, I should be sitting at 780-ish in the first few days of October after the updates. Smiley Happy    After the house closes, I will have one installment loan opening for a home renovation, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how the numbers look.

Thank you again......you made me stop and REALLY think about what I was doing!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Katobie129 wrote:

Sillykitty1, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your post....you gave me some good points to think about.  After reading your post, I sat down with all of the accounts and looked at account ages, and credit limits, etc. What I actually ended up doing was to paying off almost everything but closing no accounts at all.  I don't see a good reason to limit available credit, as long as I'm not using it.  Between the houses, work, upcoming surgery and moving, I had kind of gotten tunnel vision about simplifying things, but in reality, that would have lost points, as you pointed out.   I left one installment loan: a student loan that is in deferment until December, and a small balance on 2 CC's.  I paid off 2 vehicles, a tractor, a bunch of credit cards, one student loan and 3 lines of credit, but left the credit/charge cards all open.  Current DTI is sitting at 5.5%.  Most of these don't actually report until the end of September, but if the score simulator is right, I should be sitting at 780-ish in the first few days of October after the updates. Smiley Happy    After the house closes, I will have one installment loan opening for a home renovation, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how the numbers look.

Thank you again......you made me stop and REALLY think about what I was doing!!! Smiley Happy

I think it was wise to payoff the store cards, and not close them....if you do not have an annual fee on a card, it is usually best to keep it open. I would usually advise not opening store cards except to rebuild, but closing them is usually a bad idea, the credit lines on them will tend to lower your overall utilization.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 7 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

If you want to simplify your life, close the cards that you don't use. As long as you have a one or two installement loans, your score will not drop that much.

It was a talk a few months ago that reports with less store cards are better when a manual review is done. If you don't need/want that many store cards then close them. Even if they are your oldest accounts, they will stay reporting for up to 10 years.

I think the 9% out of 1k or 25k is almost looking the same for Score and automatic applications, I guess that will look different for each lender but the difference is not that big. On manual review they can see that if you only have 9% on 1k card but have others with larger limits and they know your income then they will say is less risk than other with higher DTI ratio.

Close any card that cost you, pay the balance in any card that generates interest if you can. Close the cards that you don't use. There are people with closed mortgage/car loans and only 3 - 5 credit cards with scores 780 or more. Good luck.

Message 8 of 13
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you have a few rental properties under your belt and have done the mortgage process a few times if you're only spending 1 day in UW as you stated.  The score simulators are junk and don't hold water.  A 70 point pop of paying down 90% isn't going to happen if your balances are relative to your limits up to 30% but hopefully less.  I'm not sure why you need so many loans though unless these are for the other prop's you own and rent out.  

Here's what I would do.....

Pay off the cards starting with highest utilization / APR

If you have cards with an AF look into something w/o an AF to PC them into

Instead of closing out the store cards just throw them in a drawer and let them close them out sometime in the next 2 years for non-use

Same goes for the V/MC/whatever else you have hanging around that doesn't see the light of day normally or combine them into 1 card with the same lender.

DTI doesn't play into scores.... only mortgage / auto loan approvals

Utilization rule of thumb should be 10% or less of a single limit not your overall CL.  If you have 100K in CL's and you put 9K on a 10K card you're going to get dinged for maxing it out even though your overall utilization is only 9% but, it's 90% on a single account.

Message 9 of 13
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Katobie129 wrote:

Ahhh .... nice to know something I wrote helped!

I totally get the wanting to simplify.  When I first got into credit I was determined to maximize every reward.  Now that life has seemed to get busier, I'm not as motivated and prefer having fewer accounts w balances to pay every month.  But I have kept all my account open, because the utilization cushion is important to me.

Good luck w the house reno!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.