Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing some of my smaller cards!

tag
farmgirljen
Valued Member

Closing some of my smaller cards!

Got approved for Discover last week, so no longer needed the $500 secured card from my CU. Closed it yesterday. I paid my Old Navy, Walmart, and BBRZMC down to $0 balances, and am trying to decide if I should close walmart and best buy or just sock drawer them.   I also have a dressbarn card that I am going to close, as I do not shop there enough and the limit is not worth hanging onto.I BT'd the Cap 1 balance to the new Discover, and will probably sock drawer that card. I apped last week for discover(approved) citi diamond preferred(have not heard back from them yet) and Bof A Alaska Airlines card... I talked with the BofA guy and he said that due to me having balances reporting on so many of my small cards they were going to decline me for the alaska airlines card. He did say though if I had waited until the 0 balances had reported that I would have been approved, and suggested trying it again in another month or so after the balances were updated on the reports.So my own  mistake for apping too early. I did tell him that my plan was to close out the small cards and use a better card that could earn me airline miles as I travel quite a bit with that particular airline. .(the upside is that they pulled Experian and my score is 653)    So, if I close these cards will it hurt my pending app with Citi?  Should I just let them sit?

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Closing some of my smaller cards!

I would recommend leaving all of these cards open IF they do not have an annual fee.  The CLs on these cards ( even though small ) will help your overall utilization and help your FICO score.

Just sock drawer them and use them once every few months or so, and PIF immediately so that no balances report.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
Guava
Established Contributor

If it were me, I'd paid them to 0 balance and sock-drawer them, they help with AAoA. Unless a card has annual fee, then I'd close it. Closed credit cards still contribute to your AAoA for 10 years.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 3 of 8
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1
SD and leave them open if they don't have an annual fee.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 8
Varakai
New Contributor

I'd say maybe close the other cards IF they have an annual fee. If they don't, SD them. I know for a fact that the Wal-Mart Discover and Wal-Marts store cards do not have an annual fee as I have the Discover. They give out generous credit line increases and are the only place where you can get your TU08 FICO score for free. I would SD that card and buy a can of coke once in a while to keep it active if I were you.

Starting Score: 500’s
Current Score: EQ Fico 707 TU Fico 737 TU08 Fico (Wal-Mart)736 EX Fico 733
Goal Score: 760+

Message 5 of 8
farmgirljen
Valued Member

That is what I thought- the store cards have no annual fee, but the best buy mc does have an annual fee( i beleive) soI think I will dump that, as well as dump my cap 1  after I reap for the Bof A card in a month or 2....

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Message 6 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Varakai wrote:

I'd say maybe close the other cards IF they have an annual fee. If they don't, SD them. I know for a fact that the Wal-Mart Discover and Wal-Marts store cards do not have an annual fee as I have the Discover. They give out generous credit line increases and are the only place where you can get your TU08 FICO score for free. I would SD that card and buy a can of coke once in a while to keep it active if I were you.

Hi - has this been confirmed that it's the TU08?

Thanks in advance.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

Hi - has this been confirmed that it's the TU08?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it has.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.