Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing vs Declaring Stolen

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing vs Declaring Stolen

I read on this board somewhere that a normally closed CC stays on ones CR for 10yrs but one reported stolen only stays for 2 yrs - I like to play the frequent flyer game with CCs - should I be declaring them stolen (no balance) as opposed to just closing them normally with no balance?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing vs Declaring Stolen

DH has lost several cc's over the years and they all report on his cr's from several years ago. Some are from 99.

It does report that the card was lost/stolen in the comments though.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is something I was just looking at on my CR. My number was stolen and used in Switzerland (wish it had been me using it there!) I immediately called the CCC, disputed the charges, and they closed the card. It shows as closed by grantor, which I guess technically it was, but that kinds of tees me off because it wasn't because I had done anything bad to make them close it. I'm trying to remember if I had them replace it with a new number or not, and just can't make my brain recall that particular fact. Nowhere on my report does it say stolen, just closed by grantor. Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome Claremont!

I think it is a really really bad idea to report your cards as stolen if they were not.  Maybe even illegal.  Please excuse me if I've misunderstood and your cards really were stolen.
Message 4 of 7
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

haha, this idea is hilarious.......a lost card is treated the same as a stolen one..both deleted after 2 years if never delinquent. so, i suppose you could lose a card or two or three or four or five.

although, this would stop working and could have adverse effects creating several duplicate accounts (for 2 years  or so) and then you would have the creditors that simply keep the account history and change the account number (so it appears as the same account) CapOne and Discover both did this to me, and so did Citi...when my cards were stolen. KEPT acct history but new number and only one account reporting. So, what you are saying wouldnt work with those lenders....you would have to actually CLOSE the account.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently remembered that I have a Linen n Things card.  I guess I sock drawered it for so long that I literally couldn't remember what I did with the doggone thing.  Had it since 2003 and never used it...
Anyway, I called and said I had misplaced the card.  It wasn't lost... I'm sure it's somewhere in my junky house.  Anyway, that account was immediately reported as "lost/stolen"  and it was closed.  Another card was sent with a different number.  Both are on my CR.  I'm gonna call LNT and see if they'll take the old card off.  The new card has the same open date as the previous account.
Message 6 of 7
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

you would have better luck just disputing the account as "not mine" with the CRAs. just make sure you include the old account number.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.