Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-Signor for Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-Signor for Credit Cards

Hey all,

I know this is a dumb question. However, like Auto or Personal loans do you think there are companies that will allow a co-signor/guarantor to apply for a credit card? I know about AU, but can I get my own account but someone with a good credit standing sign with me?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Co-Signor for Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

I know this is a dumb question. However, like Auto or Personal loans do you think there are companies that will allow a co-signor/guarantor to apply for a credit card? I know about AU, but can I get my own account but someone with a good credit standing sign with me?

Because of my thin file at the time of apping for Discover IT I was approved with a co-signer so I guess it's possible.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

Because of my thin file at the time of apping for Discover IT I was approved with a co-signer so I guess it's possible.

Thanks BlueSky, I actually got burned with Discover once. I'm not going to them again!

They gave me a Pre-Qual and when I applied twenty minutes later, I got denied. Despite Recon, nothing worked. It cost me an inquiry during tough times! Also, it was my bad which my ego fails to accept! Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks BlueSky, I actually got burned with Discover once. I'm not going to them again!

They gave me a Pre-Qual and when I applied twenty minutes later, I got denied. Despite Recon, nothing worked. It cost me an inquiry during tough times! Also, it was my bad which my ego fails to accept! Smiley Tongue

Yep I know the feeling....I was hoodwinked by them also thinking the pre-approval was a real one! It cost me a hard pull in a tough time as well.

Message 4 of 10
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

I've never seen it on any application but maybe through a CSR or EO you can tack someone on. 

Message 5 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

However, like Auto or Personal loans do you think there are companies that will allow a co-signor/guarantor to apply for a credit card?

Some do, some don't.

@Anonymous wrote:

They gave me a Pre-Qual and when I applied twenty minutes later, I got denied. 

Discover didn't "burn" you.  Do not rely on prequals.  You have no idea when the SP was performed for the prequal and what might have changed since then.  Prequals never guarantee anything either way.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, it was my bad which my ego fails to accept!

There's the real problem.  It's not you -- it's your credit.  If you're unhappy with a decision then address the deficiencies in your credit.

Message 6 of 10
northface28
Established Contributor

Id only suggest doing this if the co-signor can be removed from that account once you obtain the card. I am STRONGLY against co-signing of any kind. If you cant get it on your own, theres a reason for that. IMO.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't agree more with you guys! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

Discover will allow you to open an account with a co-signer but it will be a counteroffer from them. The option is not available on the actual app. US bank does have the option along with Penfed (but must be a member). So far those are the only ones i know of.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 9 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

Id only suggest doing this if the co-signor can be removed from that account once you obtain the card. I am STRONGLY against co-signing of any kind. If you cant get it on your own, theres a reason for that. IMO.

+1 no way could i ever co sign for someone. imo in most cases its a lose lose for the person doing the co signing. no way. number one reason. the bank will never tell the co signer that the other person is late. you will not find out until it hits your credit report. then its too late. lights out for your good credit. no way. sorry. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.