Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Co-branded Amex easier to get?

@09Lexie wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

Well... It depends.

The Delta SkyMiles Gold anecdotally has less stringent underwriting than a Blue Cash Everyday. However, the Fidelity Amex card -- again, anecdotally -- can be a pain in the anus to acquire.

Fidelity Amex is issued by FIA not Amex Centurion Bank.  If OP is referring to cards issued by Amex Centurion Bank, it has been suggested that the Delta Amex is the easier revolver. 

He did only mentioned co-branded cards and not issuing bank.

Correct.  The distinction was not clear. 

A co-branded Amex is a co-branded Amex.  A Fidelity Amex is an FIA card that is processed on the Amex network.  A Delta Skymiles Amex is an Amex that is co-branded.  Trying to say otherwise is just semantics.  If the OP meant otherwise it is most likely due to a lack of understanding, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the question that was asked is clear IMO.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 11 of 19
BobbyFL
New Visitor

I had the Amex Jetblue with almost no credit history and upper 600s, so I think it is easier to get certain cobranded AMEX cards over the regular ones.

Message 12 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Does the 61 3xcli apply to co-branded cards? like does it work for barclays travelocity, macys amex, etc.?

No, only for cc's issued by Amex Centurion Bank, not cards who simply use the Amex network. 

This type of question comes up a lot!  Is it covered in one of the stickies?

The fact can be stated fairly simply IMO:

= Cards that run on the Amex network but not issued by Amex Centurion Bank have NONE of the advantages commonly ascribed to Amex cards, including:

1) Backdating

2) 61 day 3x CLI

3) Enhanced consumer protections

The one thing they do share with "true" Amex cards is the reduced acceptance!

This is not to say that such cards are bad (I'm a big fan of the Fidelity Amex for example).  Such cards can be good/great for many reasons, but these have nothing to do with them running on the Amex network.

Message 13 of 19
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

So if you're blacklisted by Amex Centurion, can you still get cards run by Amex network (like Macy's Amex, Barclays Travelocity Amex...etc??)  or are you blacklisted to ALL Amex cards in general? I am just curious........

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 14 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@JoshuaHolySpirit wrote:

So if you're blacklisted by Amex Centurion, can you still get cards run by Amex network (like Macy's Amex, Barclays Travelocity Amex...etc??)  or are you blacklisted to ALL Amex cards in general? I am just curious........

Amex Centurion Bank does not issue cards run on their network ie Macy's Amex, FNBO Amex etc.  only those cards issued by Amex Centurion Bank you would have an issue being approved. 

Message 15 of 19
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@JoshuaHolySpirit wrote:

Amex Centurion Bank does not issue cards run on their network ie Macy's Amex, FNBO Amex etc.  only those cards issued by Amex Centurion Bank you would have an issue being approved. 

Thank you Lexie. You rock........

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 16 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JoshuaHolySpirit wrote:

So Lexie answered this, but I think from your question there is still a lack of understanding of the differences.

The cards aren't "run by Amex network" more "run on the Amex network"   Basically Amex is providing an infrastructure that issuers can use, in exactly the same way as Visa and MC (except that unlike Visa and MC, Amex ALSO issue their own cards, but that is unimportant in this context).    

Unsurprisingly, Amex charges the users for this service.   So if you use say a cobranded Amex, a lot of orgs get a fee, including Amex, the card issuer, the processing institution etc.   But here Amex has none of the risk, the issuing bank will get hit by defaults, not them.   Hence it's fine by them if someone they themselves have blacklisted uses one of these cards, because they get the revenue with no real risk.

Also, telling other institutions to blacklist you (other than by bad marks in the CR) would be illegal.

Message 17 of 19
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Which came first, the credit card, or the credit score?  Smiley Tongue

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 18 of 19
tjones9234
Contributor

did we ever get an answer to this? I have seen some pretty low approval scored for the BCE and everday card.. I am starting to think they might be easiest to get

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.