Did you mean: 

CodeMonkey's new CC experiences -

tag
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CodeMonkey's new CC experiences -

CodeMonkey wrote:
Law - don't hate me. Smiley Sad

Hoping to be a prosecutor one day - civil stuff isn't really my bag.

Although - the more research I do about credit and lending practice, the more appealing consumer advocacy is starting to look. Going after some of the more predatory lenders out there looks like it could be fun. Smiley Wink

Very good either way!  Just so long as you use your powers for good, lol.

Oh, and with BofA I managed to go from an initial limit of 2k to 5k within a month of opening the card.  I'm kind of stuck there at the moment, as BofA thinks fact that I have a 30k limit w/ them overall - due to an AU acct.  From what you've shown so far with respect to your credit worthiness, I doubt BofA will have a problem bumping up your limit.

Best of luck with both!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

CodeMonkey wrote:

Although - the more research I do about credit and lending practice, the more appealing consumer advocacy is starting to look. Going after some of the more predatory lenders out there looks like it could be fun. Smiley Wink

IMO, it would be MUCH more fun going after the CAs who violate FDCPA and FCRA than it would be to go after after predatory lenders.  Now THAT would be a fun career.

Message 12 of 24
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@CodeMonkey wrote:

You would think the Code Monkey would be getting a CS degree Smiley Happy
Here we go again...
Message 13 of 24
CodeMonkey
Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
You would think the Code Monkey would be getting a CS degree
You would think so. Smiley Happy

Nope, CS just pays the bills while I focus on other things.

Actually, I don't even have an undergrad degree in CS, lol. Hence the "Monkey" in "CodeMonkey" - "monkey see, monkey do!" - great way to self-teach!

Message Edited by CodeMonkey on 08-04-2008 02:52 PM
Message 14 of 24
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

CodeMonkey wrote:

Actually, I don't even have an undergrad degree in CS, lol. Hence the "Monkey" in "CodeMonkey" - "monkey see, monkey do!" - great way to self-teach!

Message Edited by CodeMonkey on 08-04-2008 02:52 PM

I'm such a teacher -- trying to understand your educational conquests!

Okay, what's the undergrad degree?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 15 of 24
CodeMonkey
Contributor

Lol - ah, jeez. Now I feel guilty for dragging this so far off the topic of credit-related things.

Undergrad degree was a double major in philosophy and religious studies with an emphasis on logic and reasoning - picked up programming while I was studying symbolic logic.

Spent a year in law school immediately after graduating college only to realize that I was terribly burnt out and needed a break - that was in '04 or so - been working as a professional software developer since and socking away some money for a return to school, and obviously to get my finances straight (mostly due to the large aforementioned CC balances that I racked up in college).

Will be applying to a bunch of schools for admission in October or so for fall semester of 2009 - hopefully I'll have as much luck there as I did on the recent CC app spree. Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 24
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

CodeMonkey wrote:
Lol - ah, jeez. Now I feel guilty for dragging this so far off the topic of credit-related things.

Undergrad degree was a double major in philosophy and religious studies with an emphasis on logic and reasoning - picked up programming while I was studying symbolic logic.

Spent a year in law school immediately after graduating college only to realize that I was terribly burnt out and needed a break - that was in '04 or so - been working as a professional software developer since and socking away some money for a return to school, and obviously to get my finances straight (mostly due to the large aforementioned CC balances that I racked up in college).

Will be applying to a bunch of schools for admission in October or so for fall semester of 2009 - hopefully I'll have as much luck there as I did on the recent CC app spree. Smiley Happy

I'll cut ya some slack for going OT -- uhhh, since it was my fault in the first place, ya know.  LOL.

Very good tho -- it looks like you have quite a plan!  Of course it makes sense that it goes along so well with your get out of debt plan.  Yours is actually a very nice example of the way to do this -- identify the problem, take the steps necessary to fix them, fix them, and return to your dream.  I'm sure you'll have just as much success when you apply for admission to school.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

CodeMonkey wrote:

This story sounds very familiar.  Very, very familiar, in fact.

Myself:  Undergrad degree was in Germanic Linguistics, with double minors in Philosophy and Political Science.  Picked up programming as a hobby.

Spent one and a half years in grad school, with an eye on PhD and eventual professorship, only to realize I was terribly burnt out.  Started working as a programmer, mostly as a way to make ends meet while I took time out from my grad studies.

Fast forward 12 years, and I'm now a Sr. Software Engineer with a large firm on Wall Street.

Never did make it back to school.  Let's hope the same doesn't happen to you. Smiley Happy

The similarities are uncanny, though.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-04-2008 03:54 PM
Message 18 of 24
CodeMonkey
Contributor

Hah! I knew there was a reason I liked you, cheddar. Smiley Happy

I was actually thinking about going the PhD route and becoming a philosophy professor - long story short, a very bad person did some very bad things to a family member of mine, and now I'd I think I'd rather spend my life sending equally bad people to jail where they can't hurt anyone else.

Always cool to see people with similar backgrounds, though - makes me feel like I'm not quite so crazy, what with the mildly schizophrenic educational and career paths since college.
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! Congrats on the new credit!

I was really just posting to say I like your name, and it keeps making me hum the codemonkey song.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.