Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coincidence, perhaps?

tag
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Coincidence, perhaps?

Well I got a Scorewatch alert today for a card that has a $0 balance.  And I decided to pull a new report as well.  Well...what's funny is that when I applied for my Chase OnePass Plus card, it seemed that, AMEX review, Citi HD review, and Citi review all pulled softs that same day....Well when I applied for Nords at the end of December, the same thing happened, all "Account Review" on the day of applying....Hmm...Should I be concerned? They pulled softs a few days before each of those instances and usually that is when they do them monthly, but since I applied for these 2 cards, they pulled softs the same day immediately after it seems in addition to the softs prior in the month that are typical.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Coincidence, perhaps?

@ArisGreek wrote:

Well I got a Scorewatch alert today for a card that has a $0 balance.  And I decided to pull a new report as well.  Well...what's funny is that when I applied for my Chase OnePass Plus card, it seemed that, AMEX review, Citi HD review, and Citi review all pulled softs that same day....Well when I applied for Nords at the end of December, the same thing happened, all "Account Review" on the day of applying....Hmm...Should I be concerned? They pulled softs a few days before each of those instances and usually that is when they do them monthly, but since I applied for these 2 cards, they pulled softs the same day immediately after it seems in addition to the softs prior in the month that are typical.

It is not a coincidence.   They are called "triggers".   So in this case,  AMEX and Citi have paid to be notified and generate a soft pull whenever you apply for credit.  

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I remember when a CA added itself to my CRs (before it met its demise). On the day it was added, Amex hit my EX with a soft. Creditors will subscribe to your reports and know whenever you add new inquiries, accounts, high balances, etc.

Message 3 of 5
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

I second the two previous responses. Your other creditors (not all will do this, but Amex is notoriously known for monitoring its customers) will be notified when you apply for credit and soft you after that, monitoring you closely. That happened to me last year when I applied for three new cards. Amex would soft me right away and kept doing so weekly for some time afterwards.I don't know if they still soft me since the new accounts aren't one year old yet.

One wrong move on your part (whatever they don't like) and they do a FR or adverse action.That is a strong reason against too many credit applications. Don't endanger what you already have and what you have guarded for years.

Message 4 of 5
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

This is all very helpful advice and makes sense.  If I ever got FRed by AMEX I'd just close them, they don't need to know my info. I have 4% utilization right now so I'm not concerned whatsoever. Smiley Wink I don't have to prove my worth to any credit card company. I'll just close the account if it ever got to that point, I'm not too concerned.  

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.