Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Co. Reneges on AMEX Oasis Promise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Co. Reneges on AMEX Oasis Promise

Just wondering if this happened to anyone else, and if so, how they dealt with it (hopefully successfully).

Had an AMEX Gold card, ran it up to about $1,800 before I suddenly fell on hard times. Couldn't make the payment, so I got turned into collections. Account ended up with United Recovery Systems, who were actually great to deal with. They promised me entry into the Oasis Program if I paid in full, and got me on a payment plan. Got a new job and started making payments. Eventually paid my debt down to $400 before I fell on hard times AGAIN and missed my last couple payments.

AMEX then turned me into a different collection company, Nationwide Credit, Inc. They were NOT great to deal with. Most didn't speak English and were hard to understand. They too promised the Oasis program if I paid off the account in full. I eventually did, including all late fees. I was told to expect the new card in 30 days.

That was 7 months ago, and I've been calling them every few weeks since (AMEX won't deal with me, telling me to take it up with Nationwide). Often the people at Nationwide would just hang up on me. Finally, someone today told me that they couldn't give me the card because my balance with their office was below $500. First of all, my original balance was $1,800. Only the balance BY THE TIME IT GOT TO THEIR OFFICE was below $500. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, nobody there told me about that condition of Oasis when they continually promised/guaranteed my enrollment into the program.

Nationwide says there's nothing they can do, American Express won't speak to me, and I'm at a loss for what to do. I lost my promised chance to rebuild my relationship with AMEX, and the tradeline on my credit report is showing it as a "charge off." I honestly don't know what to do here. I just want that second chance I was promised.

Has this happened to anyone else (a collection agency reneging on a promise)? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Re: Collection Co. Reneges on AMEX Oasis Promise

if i were you, i would just be thankful that Amex is out of your life. if your scores are not good enough for an unsecured card with a good cl , you should apply for a secured card from b of a, wells, or us bank. it will unsecure and you will have a high cl in no time.

fyi-amex sucks. once you're in good shape again. get a discover and consider it a lesson learned.
Message 2 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

ScoreMan wrote:
Has this happened to anyone else (a collection agency reneging on a promise)? Does anyone have any advice?

1) Did ya get it in writing before making the first payment? If not shame on you.

2) Sounds like you didn't do the greatest job holding up your end of the bargain either.

3) As far as this deal is concerned you're toast. Time to move on. Sorry.
Message 3 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I thought AMEX handled most of their collections internally and offered the OASIS program directly.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little on the blunt and honest side-

Sometimes it's tough- but lets try to be suportive-
sometimes people are just venting and are not really looking for advice.

jmbfl wrote:

ScoreMan wrote:

1) Did ya get it in writing before making the first payment? If not shame on you.

2) Sounds like you didn't do the greatest job holding up your end of the bargain either.

3) As far as this deal is concerned you're toast. Time to move on. Sorry.

Message 5 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

As far as the CO is concerned that will age off your CBR's 7.5 years from DOFD.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote]jmbfl wrote:
1) Did ya get it in writing before making the first payment? If not shame on you.[/quote]
No I didn't. You're right and it was very stupid of me. I've been kicking myself ever since.
[quote]2) Sounds like you didn't do the greatest job holding up your end of the bargain either.[/quote]
Also very true. I was doing great making my payments in paying it down from $1,800 down to $400. I did hit that snag I mentioned earlier and couldn't hold up to what I promised. However, after I hit that snag, and it was down to $400, Nationwide did again make that Oasis promise and I never failed to make a promised payment to Nationwide.
[quote]3) As far as this deal is concerned you're toast. Time to move on. Sorry.[/quote]
I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're right.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote]Timothy wrote:
Sometimes it's tough- but lets try to be suportive-
sometimes people are just venting and are not really looking for advice.[/quote]
I am indeed venting in the sense that just typing out my situation helped in a cathartic way.

However, if anyone actually can help, that would be even better. I already typed up a good will letter to AMEX explaining my situation, but I'm not even sure where to send it. I've called AMEX (even using an Oasis number I found on this forum), but they won't give me an address. I feel (perhaps naively) that if I can just get this letter to the right person, they'll help me out. My initital balance DOES qualify me for the Oasis program, but the problem is that they're only recognizing the smaller balance from the second agency (after I paid it down). I do have an initial letter from AMEX saying I'm eligible (when I was still with the first collection company), so I know that AMEX was happy to have me at one point.

Also, I'm having trouble quoting people's responses on this forum. If anyone can help me fix THAT problem, it would be a good start! One problem at a time I suppose.

In happier news, I think today saw a big (and unexpected) breakthrough in my last 7 months of repairing my credit. I'll wait until I actually have the card in my hand before telling the board though, lest I jinx myself! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 15
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

ScoreMan wrote:
I do have an initial letter from AMEX saying I'm eligible (when I was still with the first collection company), so I know that AMEX was happy to have me at one point.

Send a well composed letter pleading for assistance to:
Kenneth Chenault
Chairman and CEO
American Express Company
200 Vesey Street
New York, NY 10285

The CEO's office of every major company has a department that handles this type of correspondence. It will get dealt with most effectively if it is handled from the top down. Make sure you attach a copy of the letter indicating you were once good to go.

So what did you get? Come on, 'fess up...

Message Edited by jmbfl on 09-24-2008 09:44 PM
Message 9 of 15
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm of no help here but GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.