Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College Cards...

tag
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

College Cards...

CCC's that offer college/student cards do they actually check to see if you are in school? Also arent these cards easier to get than others?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Re: College Cards...

I just apped the Citi MTVu card. I was denied because of a BK in 04. I am not a traditional student as I'm 32 years old, but I am a full time student. I don't know if they verified my student status. I probably didn't make it past the credit stage. Smiley Sad I have heard the student cards are easier to get, but I wouldn't count on it with any baddies, probably just a limited credit history. IMO
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a US Bank student visa during my 2nd year of college. I had absolutely nothing on my credit report at the time, and I had no problems getting the card. I do think I had savings & checking with them, though. I don't remember if I needed any proof of school, but I do know that after I graduated college they automatically product-changed me to the Select Rewards card. So I guess I'm not much help with your questions, but if you're looking for a student card then I'd definitely recommend US Bank.
Message 3 of 13
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

What type of scores does US bank like to see? I will be starting school in Aug!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know for sure what kind of scores they like to see, although they are a more conservative bank so generally the cleaner your report, the better. WIth a search on www.whogavemecredit.com it looks like 670s+ will give you a pretty good chance of an approval. However, when I apped for the student card I did not have had a score at all because I had no other loans, CCs, or other TLs at the time - the US Bank card I got at that time is now my oldest TL on my credit reports. I don't have anyone else on the account either so they didn't require anyone to "back me up" so to speak. What does your credit situation look like right now?
Message 5 of 13
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

My util is pretty high right i believe somewhere around 90% i am working diligently to get that down, only other baddie is an unpaid med collection that i have started the hipaa process on.

i shouldnt bother appin until i get util down, i was just inquiring for future reference.

Thanks,
Chad

Message 6 of 13
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Schoolbuskid, lenders will be glad to use the high utilization excuse to deny you for a new credit card. Lay low until you pay off your debt.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to put the plastic away and stay off the computer for online applications.

And consider, with the text of your other posts that you may have a problem.

Your high utilization and all your inqiries are just going to get you declined anyway.  

Message 8 of 13
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Thanks!  I believe i am taking the appropriate steps to be rid of my debt! I dont use but two of my credits, which is about to be cut to one, and that one only has a limit of 200. Trust me when i say i have learn a hard lesson, dont spend more than you can pay off!

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 13
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Schoolbuskid wrote:
CCC's that offer college/student cards do they actually check to see if you are in school? Also arent these cards easier to get than others?

Chad, before you try for more credit it would be prudent of you to pay off the cards you currently have maxed out. If you would free up these lines you should be in a better position to get cli on the cc's you already have. This is not the right credit climate to apply and/or run up your cards. Seeing you maxing out your existing lines is going to make your creditors worried and possibly set you up for some AA on the cards you do have.

You are young, take the advice of the posters who are trying to help you prevent getting into a credit nightmare that at best lasts 7.5 years.

Your credit future depends on the choices you are making now. No one wants you to end up being in the situations some of have been in. We're trying to save you a whole lot of grief.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.