Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College Student Credit Questions

tag
Tsucchi
Established Member

Re: College Student Credit Questions

I think 750+ score is doable (just basing that my FICO? EX is 781 according to Discover). I'm currently 24, and paid off my $24k student loans.

BofA: Student Platinum Plus Visa: $2k; Cash Rewards Visa: $10k
Chase: Freedom MC: $10k
Amex: TE Costco: $20k; Blue (AU) $9.9k
Discover: IT: $4k
FICO EX (01/15/2014): 745; CK (2/14/2014): 710; CS (2/8/2014): 768
Message 21 of 25
Tkeod

@bluesnowman wrote:

TK- Like you, I am going into my Junior uear of college and I think your doing good so far. If I were you, let your scores come into the 700+ range before apping. How old is your WF card and how long is your history? What does your income look like? I ask because I really wanted a travel card and prime cards from all the major issuers and fortunately for me as you can see in my sig I have been able to accomplish it all thus far. What is your goal with the cards you want? Do you want to travel? Cashback? Miles and points? Balance Transfers or 0% cards? I think your doing well so far. Do you drive a lot? eat out a lot? As far as getting a college student card, I have the Citi Forward card and it is wonderful (I really want the AAdvanatage card in a year or so because I fly every now and then with AA and Southwest.) My last card that I want by the end of the year is the BCE. Like I said, It depends on what you really want and need in terms of cards. 

My WF is about 1.5 years old, but my first hint of history is my loans for college from my freshman year. I'm making $1600 a month as a teller at WF. As for the goals for my cards, anything that helps with gas and food is what I need lol. I drive between phoenix and flagstaff a lot gas wise, and I lift so thats where the food comes in. I dont expect to fly much anytime soon either. I'm basically looking to expand my history and variety of cards. lol

Message 22 of 25
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

TK- You could look into getting the Chase Freedom card since you have a history of a 1.5 years (I applied at the one year mark and got it.) As long as you put that your a student on your apps you should be ok+your income is enough to get approved (income is like 20,000?). But to get a pretty good limit I think wait until you get into the 700's. If I were you I'd look at getting these 5 cards :

Amex BCE (Gas)

Bofa Cash Rewards (Alternative or main gas cards.)

Citi Forward (Food, books, school stuff etc.)

Chase Freedom (1% on everything+rotating categories.)

Discover IT (Competes with Freedom.)

I think you have a reasonable shot of getting all of them, but I would pick 2-3 for now and apply for them, and then six months later you could apply for any other card I mentioned. Good luck in whatever you decide to do Smiley Happy

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 23 of 25
Tkeod

@bluesnowman wrote:

TK- You could look into getting the Chase Freedom card since you have a history of a 1.5 years (I applied at the one year mark and got it.) As long as you put that your a student on your apps you should be ok+your income is enough to get approved (income is like 20,000?). But to get a pretty good limit I think wait until you get into the 700's. If I were you I'd look at getting these 5 cards :

Amex BCE (Gas)

Bofa Cash Rewards (Alternative or main gas cards.)

Citi Forward (Food, books, school stuff etc.)

Chase Freedom (1% on everything+rotating categories.)

Discover IT (Competes with Freedom.)

I think you have a reasonable shot of getting all of them, but I would pick 2-3 for now and apply for them, and then six months later you could apply for any other card I mentioned. Good luck in whatever you decide to do Smiley Happy

Yea I'm looking to apply for Discover IT, AMEX (idk which yet), and Chase Freedom. I'll apply for all of those the same day and see what I get approved for. then work with that for about 6 months and request a CLI and apply for some others as well. Hopefully it all works out.

Message 24 of 25
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

If you drive quite a bit, the BCE and BCP are easily the best to get. I have the PRG-It is a good card but the annual fee is quite a bit, and I use the card as much unfortunately. The BCE would come in handy since I can use it for gas, and everyday purchases, I'd like the SPG since the point transfers sound good too. If I were you, I'd apply for the BCE, Chase Freedom, and the Citi Forward or Discover IT and see what you get. You have a good chance of getting all of those+ a travel card if you desire. But if you value cashback more, all of the cards I mentioned are prime and I currently have all of them except the BCE and I need to PC my More to the IT. Just take it slow and steady and you'll have good cards and a credit history as well. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.