Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College Student, sorta lost

tag
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

Re: College Student, sorta lost

So i just got declined for both the citi and discover (with a coapp). I asked my mother because i thought her score was high enough for a coapp but apprently not, my sister has a much higher score (around 710+). You think its a good idea to ask discover if i can reapply with a different coapplicant or should i just be a good boy and garden my AU AMEX for 6 months?

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 21 of 36
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Did you call the backdoor numbers and try a recon? 

Message 22 of 36
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

citi denied me when i had no credit history. little more than a year later with good score, they gave me 2 cards.

if i were you, id recon discover. do not apply again! will only make it harder.

try cap one if you can take the inquiries. they will most likely approve you, with a crappy limit though.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 23 of 36
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:

citi denied me when i had no credit history. little more than a year later with good score, they gave me 2 cards.

if i were you, id recon discover. do not apply again! will only make it harder.

try cap one if you can take the inquiries. they will most likely approve you, with a crappy limit though.

how exactly do i ask for a reconsideration? just like "can your reconsider?" haha (serious question my first time!) also should i ask them to reconsider with a different co applicant or stick with my mom? (my moms transunion score is 649 and her experian is 683)

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 24 of 36
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately your moms scores are not high enough. Has she checked her report for inaccuracies yet?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 25 of 36
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I am guessing Citi pulled EQ and Discover TU. You can call the backdoor numbers as previously said and ask why they denied you.

If they tell you one of you has negative information on your CRs, work your way around it and explain them how you plan to use and pay your card.

State your thoughts and explain yourself as friendly as you could. After all, the decision to approve you or not relies on whoever you talk to.

If the first time doesn´t work, call and talk to someone else. The worst thing that could happen is having a no as an answer. . . and it has already happened so you have nothing to lose!

I will do my recons with GE tomorrow because today I had to stay longer at work.

Tell us how you did and good luck my friend!

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 26 of 36
jbu723
Established Member

I'm a college student as well. I had a lot of trouble getting approved for my first card also. The first card I was able to get was a secured card from Bank of America. If you're having trouble getting approved for an unsecured card a secured card may be a good place for you to start. I used my secured card for about 6 months and then I was able to get an Capital One Journey card. Now I have an Amex Green, Southwest RR Chase card, and Discover More card. It took me probably about 3 years to get where I am.  I hated my secured card for the duration that I had it. It really was only good for building a credit history. Good luck with everything!

Message 27 of 36
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

So my gf just gave me AU on her chase sapphire, I wonder if that will help my credit as she just gave them my name. Would they find my CR even though I don't live in the same address as her?
Message 28 of 36
jsucool76
Super Contributor

As far as I know chase does report AU accounts despite the fact they don't ask for SSN or DOB. 

Message 29 of 36
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

OP I would not go co-anything on credit.  That can turn sour mighty fast.  I would do a card from capital one then go for a secured card through bank of america.  Does the credit union you applied for offer any type of secured loan?  If you open up 3 tradelines, even if its just 2 you will be in a much much better position in a year from now.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.