cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine/Transfer credit lines on Citi cards?

tag
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

Combine/Transfer credit lines on Citi cards?

So I am wondering...I have a Citi Dividend Visa Signature card with a $7,000 credit line and I also have a Citi AAdvantage World MasterCard with a $4,000 credit line.  I just recently opened the MasterCard a couple of months ago and I honestly do not know why I did it (received offer for bonus miles, etc).  So my question, is it possible to transfer a portion (if not ALL) of the $4,000 line to the $7,000 line?  (To combine the credit lines on the Citi Dividend Visa for a total credit line of $11,000?)  I know people have had success doing this with Chase but I am curious to find out if people have had sucess doing this with Citibank.

Thanks!

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
iamrayl
Regular Contributor

Re: Combine/Transfer credit lines on Citi cards?

I had a similar situation last month. I have a Thank You Preferred MC and I was recently approved for the Thank You Preferred Visa (received one of those preapproved offers in the mail). The rep I spoke to told me I could combine them once I received the Visa in the mail. When I called in to combine the two cards I was told that they no longer do it. I called in last week to see if I could do a PC to another card and the rep said that I couldn't do that either and all she suggested was that I apply for the card I was trying to PC to and if approved then I could close the other card. Kinda hate having two cards with the same rewards but it was my fault for applying for the Visa anyway. They both have 15 month 0% on purchases and balance transfers so at that point I will decide what I will do with the Visa.
Message 2 of 6
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

Well, even if I could just transfer a portion of the credit line from the MasterCard over to my Visa, I would still be a happy camper.  I just would like to gain as much of the credit line as possible before closing the account.  For example, if they told me that I would have to leave like $500 on the MasterCard but I could move $3,500 over to the Visa for a new credt line of $10,500...I would be peachy.  I know people have done this with Chase and I have often thought about doing it because I have two credit cards with Chase.  One is a Freedom MasterCard with a credit line of $1,000 which is my oldest account and I also have a Sapphire Visa Signature which I opened later with a credit line of $10,300 and a lower APR...can you guess which one is in my wallet and which one is in a shoebox? Smiley Wink

I just cannot bring myself to close my Chase Freedom though because it is my oldest account...even though I never use it.

Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 3 of 6
iamrayl
Regular Contributor

It's always worth a shot. We often get told something can't be done until we talk to the right person. I was told no twice, so I've backed off. If you end up calling them let us know the results.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried calling the backdoor number for the customer retention department?

Message 5 of 6
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried calling the backdoor number for the customer retention department?

No, I haven't.  But what is the retention department?  What do they do?  Do they specifically handle matters like this?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.