Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining 2 cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining 2 cards

So i was thinking about combining two of my chase cards.

Chase Perfect - $1500

Chase Amazon - $1700

I think i'm going to keep the Amazon because its only about 6 months old and I like the rewards aspect of it.

So if I combined the two I'd end up with a Amazon card with $3200 limit. This will be the highest limit on any of my cards.

How does this affect my score and how does it look when a card company pulls my report? Will this make it more likely to get a card with a limit similar to this one?

Thanks for any help Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Combining 2 cards

I don't know if Chase combines - never heard of them doing so, but maybe some of the posters here can let you know about their experiences. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 2 of 9
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Perfect - $1500

Chase Amazon - $1700

I think i'm going to keep the Amazon because its only about 6 months old and I like the rewards aspect of it.

So if I combined the two I'd end up with a Amazon card with $3200 limit. This will be the highest limit on any of my cards.

How does this affect my score and how does it look when a card company pulls my report? Will this make it more likely to get a card with a limit similar to this one?

How old is the other card? If it's close to the age of this one then no biggie, but if it's much older, I'd pause awhile and think about your average age on your accounts.

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 3 of 9
voidman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Perfect - $1500

Chase Amazon - $1700

Instead of transfering the CL from Perfect to Amazon and close Perfect, you can tranfer only $1000 from perfect to Amazon and keep the card open. This will help   you with number of accounts in good shape and cards with balance vs zero balance cards ratio. 

When my Wamu card was taken over by chase. I tried to do the exact same thing. But the CSR said that she could not transfer all and close the account, instead I 3500 transfered to my chase freedom and wamu card is now at $500. And to think of it, I like the concept. Unless someone does not like low CL limit card reporting. 

-void
Message 4 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

That might be just the ticket - get a fresh Chase card with new terms and then move most of the CL from my Providian -> WaMu -> Chase to it. Too bad I am not in the mood for app'ing and that move would be pretty far down my list.
Message 5 of 9
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
That might be just the ticket - get a fresh Chase card with new terms and then move most of the CL from my Providian -> WaMu -> Chase to it. Too bad I am not in the mood for app'ing and that move would be pretty far down my list.

I'm totally on your wave length. I'm just wondering if I could squeeze the history over as well. The lady that opened my $125 bonus checking was actually sweet and sent me a card. She referenced stuff we had talked about. Bad thing for a salesman to do, now I'm gonna play her as my friend. New card, 7 years history reporting, or my $125 walks when the 6 months is up. I'll even throw in my old providian card as a bonus for her.

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 6 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

some recent posts have indicated that chase will no longer combine.  ymmv.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Karatz wrote:

How old is the other card? If it's close to the age of this one then no biggie, but if it's much older, I'd pause awhile and think about your average age on your accounts.

Good point for long-term planning, but a closed card will report and count for AAoA for up to 10 years (probably less on EQ, which likes to dump closed accounts early.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Karatz wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

I'm totally on your wave length. I'm just wondering if I could squeeze the history over as well. The lady that opened my $125 bonus checking was actually sweet and sent me a card. She referenced stuff we had talked about. Bad thing for a salesman to do, now I'm gonna play her as my friend. New card, 7 years history reporting, or my $125 walks when the 6 months is up. I'll even throw in my old providian card as a bonus for her.

It is an excellent thing for any type of rep to do.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.