Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining AMEX Schwab Platinum and Everyday Preferred

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Combining AMEX Schwab Platinum and Everyday Preferred

@Anonymous wrote:

But then again, $550 AF a year with $200 in fee credits, $200 in Uber credits, free Delta lounges, Priority Pass lounge access, hotel perks,  earning 5x on hotel and airline purchases, plus $1,250 transferred to your IRA to invest with 100,000 points isn't a bad deal. 

It isn't a bad deal if you live in a Delta hub and ride Uber a lot.  For me, it would be a terrible deal, so I stick with Chase Sapphire Reserve.

As for the original question, using a standard 2% cash back card for most spending, collecting all the cash, and investing it at Schwab would beat the combo of Everyday Preferred plus Schwab Platinum.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never really understood that argument. If you fly Delta, whether it's out of a small airport like Syracuse or Tulsa, you're going to end up having a layover at a hub regardless. We're not talking about Jet Blue lounges where the destinations are more limited. Delta flies to practically every airport in the U.S. When I look to book flights out of my small city airport, most of them end up in Atlanta (their main hub), and then I'lll fly from there to my destination. 

Message 22 of 25
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never really understood that argument. If you fly Delta, whether it's out of a small airport like Syracuse or Tulsa, you're going to end up having a layover at a hub regardless. We're not talking about Jet Blue lounges where the destinations are more limited. Delta flies to practically every airport in the U.S. When I look to book flights out of my small city airport, most of them end up in Atlanta (their main hub), and then I'lll fly from there to my destination. 

I hate layovers.  They add 2-4 hours to the length of a trip, and they double the odds that something will go wrong.  So I always take nonstop flights to domestic destinations.  I am fortunate to live in a metro area that has United and Southwest hubs and a mini-hub for American.  No reason to ever fly Delta unless I want to go to Atlanta, Detroit, or Minneapolis -- but I have no reason to go to those cities.  For international, I fly United or one of the European carriers, as neither Delta nor American flies nonstop to Europe from here.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

a military member that has annual fees waived....all these combos are perfect for..

Message 24 of 25
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

a military member that has annual fees waived....all these combos are perfect for..

I completely agree!  I should have added military members to my earlier comment.  For them, the Platinum-without-fee is a great card.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.