Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Balances - Should I?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining Balances - Should I?

I have 2 BoA cash rewards credit cards. This was a year ago when i first wanted a CC. Suprisingly when i was approved they sent me two of the same cards. 1 was with a 1000 CL and another that's secured with 500 CL. I have no idea why, but i kept both of them, and aged them. The secured 500 graduated about 6 months later to unsecured and CLI to 2000. And the 1000 got a CLI to 3800. the 2000 has a AF of $39 and i really dont like that. Is it worth combining the balances together, try to waive the $39, get a PC on the AF card, or let them age for a bit more? They're both getting to be a year old in april

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Combining Balances - Should I?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 BoA cash rewards credit cards. This was a year ago when i first wanted a CC. Suprisingly when i was approved they sent me two of the same cards. 1 was with a 1000 CL and another that's secured with 500 CL. I have no idea why, but i kept both of them, and aged them. The secured 500 graduated about 6 months later to unsecured and CLI to 2000. And the 1000 got a CLI to 3800. the 2000 has a AF of $39 and i really dont like that. Is it worth combining the balances together, try to waive the $39, get a PC on the AF card, or let them age for a bit more? They're both getting to be a year old in april

Combining Balances...?  By your title, do you mean, combining Credit Lines/Limits?  Are you carrying any balances on any of the cards?  If your ultimate goal is to simplify and carry one vs two, you can combine the CLs, but be aware that BOA will likely do a HP to reallocate the CL from the donor card.

Message 2 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Combining Balances... By your title, do you mean, combining Credit Lines/Limits?  Are you carrying any balances on any of the cards?  If your ultimately goal is to simplify and carry one vs two, you can combine the CLs, but be aware that BOA will likely do a HP to reallocate the CL from the donor card.

+1 correct 

As a matter of fact if they can link you to this post they already HP'ed you...Lol

BofA is HP happy 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Combining Balances... By your title, do you mean, combining Credit Lines/Limits?  Are you carrying any balances on any of the cards?  If your ultimately goal is to simplify and carry one vs two, you can combine the CLs, but be aware that BOA will likely do a HP to reallocate the CL from the donor card.

You're correct. thats what i meant. I meant to combine my credit limits together. I really dont want to do another HP since ive already got alot of inq on my report already. I might just keep them and let them grow for a bit longer.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 correct 

As a matter of fact if they can link you to this post they already HP'ed you...Lol

BofA is HP happy 

They are. When i requested a CLI on online account luv button. I got approved, but it wasnt what i wanted. I called the back door number and asked for a recon. They did another HP. 2 HP for 2 small CLI's Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 correct 

BofA is HP happy 

They are. When i requested a CLI on online account luv button. I got approved, but it wasnt what i wanted. I called the back door number and asked for a recon. They did another HP. 2 HP for 2 small CLI's Smiley Sad

Lol Congrats based on this new information BofA fed it into their algorithm of clients and came up with a name and account 

You may wish to check your reports because BofA just HP'ed your credit Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 correct 

BofA is HP happy 

That about sounds like BOA but it doesn't always happen for everyone.  The key with BOA is strategy in order to use 1 HP (at most) and have a better yield on the CLIs (or reallocation), especially across multiple cards. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 correct 

BofA is HP happy 

Lol Congrats based on this new information BofA fed it into their algorithm of clients and came up with a name and account 

pretty sure they saw this and already HP'd me lol. On a serious note. Are there any other cards that i can PC to with decent cash back rewards without having to HP again or is it inevitable

Message 8 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 correct 

BofA is HP happy 

pretty sure they saw this and already HP'd me lol. On a serious note. Are there any other cards that i can PC to with decent cash back rewards?

FinStar will be back in a second he's the BofA expert....I stay away from HP happy lenders...I'm a bonus chaser and I need all my HP's Smiley Tongue

Hey Fin ...your upSmiley Very Happy

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 correct 

BofA is HP happy 

pretty sure they saw this and already HP'd me lol. On a serious note. Are there any other cards that i can PC to with decent cash back rewards?

FinStar will be back in a second he's the BofA expert....I stay away from HP happy lenders...I'm a bonus chaser and I need all my HP's Smiley Tongue

Hey Fin ...your upSmiley Very Happy

my current cards are QS1, Chase Slate, Chase Freedom (coming), 2x Cash Rewards Smiley Sad and Discover IT

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.