Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining CL's from 2 GEMB store cards?

tag
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Combining CL's from 2 GEMB store cards?

I have both an Old Navy $200cl & GAP card $300cl, and when I log into either to pay my bill it will always show info on both cards. Was just wondering if any one knew if you can combine the cl on both? I do not use the Old Navy card on GAP. Was going to call today, but wanted some input.
MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Combining CL's from 2 GEMB store cards?

No, you cannot combine CLs from 2 different store cards.

AMEX use to allow you to do this if you had a couple revolvers, but they stopped that about 2-3 years ago as well.

Sorry, but no go.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

the CARD act is the culprit why they stopped combining cards according to the CSR's for a lot of financial institutions I spoke with for combining accounts. I wanted to upgrade my walmart store card to discover and GEMB stated that because of the CARD act that it wasnt possible anymore and I would have to apply for another account.

amazon
Message 3 of 6
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

tsquad131, recently I've also been hearing lots of ccc blaming the CARD Act for many of the features or benefits that are no longer offered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's ANYTHING in the CARD Act that states these companies cannot provide these types of services.  I truly think they are angry that the CARD Act limited the bad practices they've been doing, therefore, they've taken it upon themselves to eliminate these options like combining, etc. then use the CARD Act as the fall-guy.

I'm not sure if they are hoping to convince the consumers into thinking the CARD Act was a bad deal?!?  I don't know, but it's really petty for CSRs to make those statements.  I also believe it's in their script to say such negative things.  Normally, a CSR don't really give a care about anything but doing their job.

Message 4 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

The card act has become a scapegoat.  

Maybe you should just ask for a CLI on the one want.

Message 5 of 6
halos24
Frequent Contributor

I just called and the rep actually was surprised I asked, and said hold let me see what options you have available.  After a brief pause she did say NO!  They did attempt to give me a CL on the GAP card but since it fell short from having it the 4 months they did not approve it.  With the Old Navy Card I have had it for 5 months and they did not want to grant me one either.  At this point I will just wait for whenever they want to grant one on their own... I am sure when I least expect it I will get one.  

Any ways, thanks for the input every one, but I also wanted to report that they did not give me the excuse of the Credit Act on not being able to combine the CL's.  

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.